4 months since I lost my step-father

We were thick as thieves. His illness came out of nowhere and within a year he was gone. My heart is just so broken and I feel like I’ve lost my grip on life, like I’m bad at it now. I used to be good at life, but my sadness is always right there. It fills all my silences and waits for me in the evenings. I miss him more than anything, but I miss myself too.

3 Likes

Hello @Tammy8,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your step father. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

1 Like

Hi Tammy. Sorry to hear this, I lost my dad 4 months ago now too it’s heartbreaking and your exactly right it feels like I can’t grip on to life, back at work but just feel useless and out of place.

Did not expect the cancer had no idea, still is a total shock.

2 Likes

Hi Annie, I’m so sorry for your loss. Not sure what I expected but yes, it’s like nothing fits together anymore. Sending you lots of love. T

Hi Tammy so sorry for your loss. It’s almost 10 months since I lost my dad. Time has passed so quickly but seems like forever since I saw dad.
I am finally feeling better in myself. Don’t know if it’s the medication or time. I cried my eyes out for months, couldn’t face anyone or find pleasure in anything. Grief completely overwhelmed me. Losing my dad has changed me as a person. I found out who my “real” friends were and was disappointed by lack of support by majorly of my closest pals. I have also just resigned from my job as a staff nurse. My future is uncertain but I feel like a huge weight has lifted from my shoulders. I have signed up for 100 skips a day in October in memory of my dad. All donations go to cancer research UK. Think dad would laugh at the state of me trying to skip but it’s a positive step for me. It’s taken a long time to get this far xxx sending love :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing Lynn, I’m sorry for your loss too… It’s encouraging to hear that you feel better after 10 months. It also feels like a lifetime ago that I last saw my step-dad, he hadn’t been the same for a while too. I’m hoping to do a half marathon with my brother in the spring for cancer research too. Good luck with your 100 skips! best, T

Thanks Tammy
I must say that the support from members of this forum has helped me immensely. Everyone so kind and all going through the emotional rollercoaster of grief. I couldn’t see through my tears while sharing and reading other people’s stories, but glad to be part of this x I hope you find some comfort here x

1 Like

thank you so much. xxx