a little boost of love today

Folks, as some of you know, I am moving out of the rental I shared with Tom, into a new home, next week. Today is yet more packing. I move between rooms, sighing at the chaos, the boxes, the change in the place as bit by bit, I dismantle everything. Every so often, I have a wobble. Yesterday, I found myself talking to the sofa about where it is going to go in the new house. I know friends on here will understand - not least as I am doing almost all of this alone.

Just now, I went to check a drawer in a little table, a drawer long closed. Inside, I found four little packages. I took a picture to share with you. Gifts to me, from Tom, from years ago, forgotten in the drawer, never given to me. Until now - just when I needed a boost.

The choice of wrapping paper is very Tom - so full of love, he was, so full of kindness, of fun, of laughter and strength. So, I tuck these away, ready to unwrap when I am moved in to the new place and everything is order. Love continues, our dear ones look out for us, no matter what. Hold tight, friends - another long weekend unfolds before us. xx

17 Likes

What perfect timing, new home gifts from your dear Tom with love, What a special moment when you discovered them.

4 Likes

Lovely perfect pick up reminder of your Tom. Enjoy :heart:
Hope you and everyone has a good weekend
:heart:
Lynne x

4 Likes

@Vancouver that’s wonderful. It made me cry ( everything does), but what a lovely legacy.

Will be thinking of you on Tuesday.

4 Likes

That is so lovely. I wish you all the best for your new home. Sending love and hugs.

3 Likes

Made me cry too. But having that sort of day. Neighbour popped in and whilst we were talking said how much she missed Norman. In floods of tears as soon as she left. Been clearing out filing. Throwing out tax records from1993 to 2013. 20 years of our lives. That has been hurtful as well. Sitting here alone. Closed in trying to keep the room warm. Curtains drawn. I feel even more alone.
I doubt I will find any hidden presents. Just hope I don’t find any more garlic purée.
Xx.
Sandra

6 Likes

@Vancouver, what a lovely thing to find. Wishing you the very best for your new home.
Talking about crying, when I told my dental hygienist yesterday about my husband she burst into tears. She was very fond of him and always looked forward to a good chat with him. He was a very well liked man.
It’s the first time I’ve had tears rolling down my face before she’d even started!

6 Likes

I still waiting for Philmore’s nephew to contact me about the car. I am wrapped up with a nice warm blanket and hot water bottle sitting on our couch, and missing holding hands with my Philmore. I still have a few unopened bottles of hot sauce and hope the nephew will take them because I cannot eat the sauce - much too hot for me. Sending love and hugs.

3 Likes

@Galaxy75 @Annaessex @Pudding @Rome18 @Paddy53 @Mist2 - thank you, thank you my friends - for sending such lovely messages. I read them in the pre-move chaos of the sitting room and I know that, while the next few days will test me to the limit, I have good friends on here who understand, who listen, who sit with me across the miles. We all do this, for each other, for we all know the pain of partner loss and the challenge of an unexpected future without them. I wade back into the final (here’s hoping) packing this morning - with a treat of a walk this afternoon to blow the virtual and - oops - real - cobwebs away xxx

7 Likes

@Pudding , hope you have a better day today , I must say , that made me smile :grinning:about garlic purée, only smile I have had this week . Thank you X xtake carex

3 Likes

I seem to have an ability to make people smile even if not myself at present.

4 Likes

Can anyone tell me how to highlight people’s user names please? I know it’s probably really simple but I’m a bit of a dinosaur with technology.

2 Likes

hello @Mist2 - if you put an @ in front of the name, it should work. If you are here, my friend, you are no dinosaur - keep posting!

2 Likes

Thank you @Vancouver. My much younger colleagues just shake their heads in wonderment when I get stuck with things like this.

2 Likes

As ex IT I say it is not your fault. It is the design. They say things are intuitive but some things confuse me and I worked in IT for 35 years. Just be aware if you use search you will usually find instructions. Or just ask.

2 Likes

Thank you @Pudding. I‘m off work just now and thinking ahead really unsure about returning to work mainly because of the IT systems I have to work with. Our systems keep changing, not just one at a time while we get used to it, but several and I find that part of the job so stressful.The caring part of my job is what keeps me going. I know that for my sanity it would probably be for the best to have a routine and company, and at 63 I’m getting close to retirement, but after losing my beloved husband I just wouldn’t be able to cope with any stress. So as we’ve already said, another big decision to tackle in days or weeks to come.

2 Likes

@Mist2 . Unfortunately even now the people who develop the systems don’t talk to the people who are going to use them. When I worked for Laura Ashley designing Point of Sale I made a point of talking to the shop managers about what they found difficult and even went into the shops to work with them. But I was an anomaly even then. Don’t they give you any training? Or is the training just geared to the tech savvy?
As I used to say in my training courses there is no such thing as a stupid question. It just means I haven’t explained it properly.

2 Likes

@Pudding . One example that springs to mind. Another major system changed and in the middle of my morning list of appointments someone from IT appeared to install it on the PC I was working at. She whizzed around the screen and then said that’s it, you’re set to go.
I asked her how to access all the various things I need and she had me click on this, that and the next thing and I had not a clue what I was clicking on. Meanwhile the appointments were backing up.At the end of all that it was discovered that there was a glitch in the system and it wasn’t working!
No wonder I’m grey haired.That kind of stress is what I could well do without especially now.

2 Likes

Hi @Mist2
Welcome to the world of IT
Another system to learn
Take care
Lynne x

2 Likes

@Mist2 this is definitely not your problem. I cannot believe the number of systems installed with major bugs these days. No one seems to test any more. In my day if I installed something that appears acceptable now I would have been fired. Mind you I also had a knack of finding the bugs in anything. First program I ever wrote crashed the operating system. I found a bug. Trouble is they test for what they expect it to do and don’t just press random illogical buttons to see what it does then.

2 Likes