Am I normal

Hi I’m 27 I have recently lost my dad in January completely unexpected I am a young mum with two children under 5 I work full time and I am wondering if feeling numb and disconnected like things are just passing me by is a normal feeling apart from a few days ago when I started to feel so emotional I just don’t know what to do with myself

Hi Alex,

Im sorry to read about your dad, my mum died a month ago and I’ve had episodes of emotion but on the most part I seem to just be getting on with it. There’s no right or wrong way to grieve, we all go about it in our own way. Her funeral is tomorrow and I feel like I’ve got knots in my stomach, but I haven’t cried or anything in the past few days. I think I’m still in disbelief which you might be as well. There’s no normal, 5 step guide to grieving bullcrap, so don’t be hard on yourself, life already does that for us x

Hello Alex91,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your dad in January unexpectedly. This must have come as a shock and it is normal and completely understandable that you’re feeling numb and disconnected.

Grief impacts everyone in different ways and the most important thing is to take care of yourself and move forwards at your own pace. We have an article on our information pages that looks at coping with bereavement and it explores some of the common emotions that accompany loss - perhaps there’s something in there that resonates with you.

Keep talking to us as long as it helps - you’re not alone here.

Take care,
Eleanor

Hi Alex, like you I lost my dad when I was 27 and had 2 children. However that will be 35yrs ago on Boxing day. After a little while people expect you to get over it. In my case this didn’t happen for a very long time and I didn’t get over it I got used to it. I wish sites like this had been available then. Eventually had to see a stress counsellor it was 3 yrs after his death. I did think I was used to it by then but I wasn’t the counsellor helped me a great deal by letting me talk about him. Also explaining that feeling angry that he had left me was a normal way to feel. Allow yourself time to grieve in your own time