Appetite

I certainly feel for those of you who cannot eat since the loss of a loved one. I think it is the shock of bereavement that causes this, or the opposite - eating for comfort! When I first lost my husband 14 months ago, I noticed I lost weight in the early months, and though I was eating, I probably was not eating quite as enthusiastically as formerly. At that time, it felt very strange even a bit upsetting, to go food shopping for just myself, and even more to prepare and cook for only myself. Yes, I no longer sat at the dining table but in the living room with a tray on my lap in front of tv. I had always enjoyed cooking for all the family when they were at home and in latter years for just for the two of us. I didn’t think eating on my own would have the effect on me that it has. At times, I’ve felt quite upset just because I’ve prepared an appetizing meal, and nobody to share it with. Time has gone on, I’m better at shopping for one now, without worrying about the things I could have bought for my husband, even enjoy preparing my meals and look forward to sitting down to eat them. My only concern now is that I might eat too much, and find my clothing getting a bit tight!! Is this the opposite grief symptom, to not being able to eat! Best wishes to you all. Deidre

I know exactly how you feel! My mum was a pastry chef by speciality, and since she has passed away nothing tastes quite the same anymore! It’s the comfort as well I think, I used to come home from work and it was the fact that she put her heart and soul into what she was making.