Being an only child and loosing both parents in 9 months

I am an only child. My dad passed away with cancer in April 22 and i lost my mum from cancer 22 Jan 23. My parents lived round the corner and i was very involved in their care. I am struggling being an only child with no siblings to share this awful experience with. My husbands parents are both alive so he dosent understand how i feel and he shows no emotion anyway. I feel totally exhausted, dizzy, spaced out, shaky and cant concentrate. I’m signed off work. I just want to feel normal and function again. I have all my parents paperwork to sort through too.

3 Likes

Hello @Suesilver,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your parents. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through. We have members who, like you, have lost both parents and who you might want to connect with. @brittanyg started this thread recently: 24 and Lost both of my parents

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Seaneen

Hi Sue silver
My heart goes out to you Years ago I lost my grandparents within a year of each other and it was terrible.It was all so unfair.Last Dec I lost my lovely mam and am heartbroken and struggling to cope without her Just wanted to say I know how you are feeling This site has been my lifesaver Keep in touch as we are all here to help one another in any tiny way
Deborah x

1 Like

Hi Suesilver

You must feel totally broken by the loss of both of your parents and especially the very recent loss of your lovely Mum. As an only child it has fallen to you to take things in hand but I do hope you have someone who can help you, at least with the practical things. My family are not bothering with me, they know I am alone with my dog, and that I am lonely but they don’t seem to care. I lost my mother in early December 2022 and I am not coping very well. If I didn’t have this site I don’t know what would become of me. It’s a shame your husband isn’t supporting you as he should and that must sadden you further. Please know that everyone here understands a little how you’re feeling. We can’t know exactly how you feel but we all do care about each other here. Keep posting your thoughts and feelings sometimes it helps to put your feelings down in words. Each of us here is suffering and we all do care about each other. Sending love, strength and hugs. x

1 Like