Bereavement Payment

Hi All

It will not bring our loved ones back but just to let you know you can claim for bereavment payment . My husband was below pension age. I actually see it on here , otherwise I wouldn’t of known about it .

I sent the form off last week from the government website and the money was in my bank account this morning.

2 Likes

It’s always worthwhile flagging this up for the guys you have only recently joined

2 Likes

Indeed, I was with my partner for 21 years I get zilch!

1 Like

Same, I’d say it’s not the money, but we had a set up we both benefited from, now I loose 40% The kids and I will miss out.

All those years and everywhere I turn partner is missing from each list I come across as a person who can do thing, be executor etc.

We are invisible people!

1 Like

I failed to get this because we were both too old, being old age pensioners. Instead I got some rubbish about inheriting a pension, which is a lot of nonsense for spending 50 years of my life working. My husband worked for 55 years, aged 15 to 71. **********

I have found this too. On Mark’s death certificate I was not able to be recorded as his partner under the relationship heading, just “cause to be cremated”. Talk about kicking someone when they’re down. Every corner you turn, nobody wants to talk to you unless you are a “blood” relative. I find it insulting: I was the person who cared for him when he was ill and who desperately tried to save him as he was dying yet in the eyes of the law I don’t count. I’m also not able to claim a penny of his state pension as we were not married., or any bereavement payment. The law needs changing.

1 Like

Dear Sarahlou and all

I got the payment as I am married. But agree law needs changing. If you were trying to claim Universal Credit then regardless of your marital status your (household) income would be taken into account.

1 Like

It’s very upsetting. An unmarried partner took it to the supreme court once. The judge concurred it’s unfair. Since then nothing has beenchangedin the law!

We are penalised simply because of a piece of paper!

1 Like

Exactly. They flex the rules to the Government’s benefit.

Take care.
Sheila

1 Like

Totally agree with all of you . I lived with my husband for fifteen years and only got married three years ago . It shouldn’t make
any difference . It definitely needs to be changed .

2 Likes

Hopefully the law will change soon so that less people have to go through this added layer of stress at an already difficult time.

3 Likes

Indeed - I was with my partner for 45 years and am not recognised in law as his partner - so his death certificate says he was single. What I am glad about is that we arranged wills and powers of attorney when he was diagnosed with bowel cancer - and this made things just a bit easier before and after he died.
It does seem most unfair that you are penalised financially for having a partner when it comes to benefits etc - yet you get no support at all from the state when your partner dies. At least his private pension scheme recognised me as the beneficiary for that - although this was because we had set this up years ago - it wasn’t an automatic thing.

3 Likes

Even if you husband had already retired and you are under 66 you are still entitled to this payment
I receive a small monthly allowance as well as the lump sum paid out