Coming soon: Sneak peek at changes to your Online Community

We’re currently hard at work updating the technology behind the Online Community site. We’ve planned our updates to reflect what you all want, based on our latest user survey and other feedback from you. We’re adding some new features that are intended to make it easier to find your way around the site, and see when someone has replied to you.

Thanks very much to all of those who have signed up to test the site in more detail. For the rest of you, I wanted to give you some idea of what changes we’re making. Here’s some of what you can expect:

• Include emojis, pictures, bold text and more formatting in your posts
  • In-site notifications to make it easier to see when someone’s replied to you without checking your email
  • See which threads you have already read, and jump back to where your last-read post in a thread
  • Find your own old posts more easily
  • Save draft posts, so you don’t lose what you are writing
  • Tag other users to invite them to join a conversation

These are due to go live on the site in November.
The online bereavement counselling service is also being upgraded – if you are registered for counselling keep an eye out for an email with more information.

If you’ve got any comments or feedback, please let me know by replying to this post or by emailing me at online.community@sueryder.org.

Hi. In saving draft posts would that include an ‘Edit’ button after posting? It so often happens that once posted we find, perhaps, some spelling errors or possibly something we may have written that we now think may be inappropriate. Just a thought.

Hi Jonathan,

Good question! Yes, you will also be able to edit your posts for a ten-minute window after posting.

The reason for the time limit is for reasons of transparency and moderation - for example, if a post is edited after it already has replies, then the replies might not make sense out of context. This is particularly important if there is a disagreement and the moderators need to get involved and look at what has been written.

However, hopefully the ten minute time window will at least be enough time to fix those annoying errors that we sometimes spot just after we post!

Ha, I always read through before posting Jonathan. That’s me, as near perfect as you’ll get. Ha, ha ;))

Hi. Kate. I know, I know, there’s only you and me who are perfect. Of course we are! But in all modesty I can live with it!!! (When we get Emojis it will be big grin).
I do go through posts after but still miss out on some things.
Hope all is well with you. Hugs.

2 Likes

I love emojis Jonathan, can’t wait xx

1 Like

I would appreciate a go back in and correct button…also a delete a post button…I appreciate we members cant have everything…

Meant to have added, i appreciate what your Sue Ryder forum has given us already, thank you…a platform to air our grief, sorrow, loneliness and whatever it takes to help mend our broken hearts…
Jackie…

Hi Lonely, Yes the new site should solve that - it will be much better at remembering your place and taking you back to the first message you haven’t read yet, both in forum conversations and private message threads.

Hi Jackie, thanks for your kind words, I’m glad you are finding the site so helpful. Yes, you will be able to edit your post for ten minutes after you publish it - see my reply to Jonathan123 above for more information.

Unfortunately we can’t offer a delete button, as it could make moderation difficult - for example if someone publishes a post that breaks the guidelines and then removes it. However, if you want something removed, you can always let me know and I can unpublish things for you.

This evening is the first time I have posted for a few days I think, I have just replied to someone and I got the message “You are posting too often”, please wait a minute and try again. It went through eventually. MaryL

Hello Mary,

Lonely has answered your question pretty much perfectly there! I can see that you did make a duplicate post at 9pm last night, so you were seeing the message because you tried to post again immediately after publishing the first time.

No need to apologise! You knew the answer, so there’s no reason not to pass it on.

Hi, I like to subscribe to threads to follow a conversation rather then replying sometimes but the subscribe button doesn’t seem to be there anymore?

Hmm, that’s odd, Flower Garden. I’ve just done some testing and it is there for me. Can you not see it on any conversation?

There will still be a subscribe option available on the new version of the site, so you should definitely be able to subscribe after we update.

I know this is a big ask but i would love to see at the bottom of our page who is and - which members are in our forum at the same time we are in our forum…

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the suggestion. That’s not in the updates that we’re working on at the moment, but if it’s something more people would find useful then we can consider it for the future.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla, Thank you for all your assistance. I have been on the site for over a year now, and have found it quite helpful. I lost my beloved sister to cancer, and in chatting with others over the year, I see a need for a “Losing A Sibling” category.
Would it be possible to add this topic to the choices? There are many who share in this type of loss, and I believe we could benefit from this addition. Thank you for listening. Sister2

Hi Sister2, Thanks for getting in touch, that’s a really good suggestion. We have actually been thinking about adding some more categories after we launch the other updates. There seem to have been quite a few people on the site posting about sibling loss lately, so this could definitely be a good addition.

Thank you Priscilla, I will be looking forward to seeing that category in the near future. Keep up the good work, this is a Godsend so many.
Xxx Sister2