Coping with Bereavement

It’s 7 weeks since my husband died, I’m bearly functioning, we had so many plans for our retirement but lockdown came 12 days after I retired then Keith was diagnosed with terminal cancer July 7th 2019, all our plans disappeared, I feel cheated & so angry that we never got to do the things we had planned, we never spoke about Keiths cancer it wasn’t something he wanted to do, think it was if I don’t talk about it it’s not going to happen, family & friends have been brilliant but they’re not her when I cry uncontrollably so much that I can’t breath, he was my whole world for 44 years I miss him so much

1 Like

Dear Renaultone

So sorry for your loss. It is very early days, the grief will be so raw. I lost my husband coming up to a year and the first few months were just a blur. I can relate to your feelings. I was only 4 months away from retiring. We had talked about what we were going to do as soon as travel restrictions were lifted - holiday of a lifetime, spending time with our little grandson and looking forward to another on the way. We were just finishing off building works in our bungalow, a property we had down-sized into in order to ‘future-proof’ for when we got elderly. We were together 42 years and married over 38 years. I too know the uncontrollable crying and longing for everything we have lost.

Thinking of you. x

1 Like

Same as you It feels so raw, tomorrow will (hopefully) be my first time going out on my own usually have my daughter or sister with me & then it’s in their car but I’m going to give it a go, feeling anxious as my biggest worry is seeing someone we know who will talk to me

Will be thinking of you. I have ventured out on a few occasions alone with varying degrees of success. Can understand your apprehension at seeing people but just do what you have to do to get through the trip.

Well I did it, not without a few tears but really proud of myself x

Glad you managed to get out. Yes the tears flow. I have travelled to a farm shop over 60 miles from our house where we always went and bought our meat supplies and had a meal. Also have now visited the location where we scattered my husband’s ashes on several occasions. Again this is quite a distance from our home and to be honest I could sometimes just keep driving. Running away from the existence that is always waiting for my return I suspect.

Again glad that you managed to get out today.

Sheila

My husband of 40 years was my whole life. I can’t believe the pain. I cry every day. You are not alone my friend. It’s a terrible journey we’re on.

1 Like

10 weeks & it’s still as raw & painful as it was the first day but I’m making a little progress, might seem very small steps but I’ve made my bed every day, showered & eating simple meals for the past week, time disappears & I’ll find my teas gone cold, the cup of tea that took me ages to motivate myself into making it

You are doing great. Be proud of your progress
:heart: Barbara

Hi Renaultone,

So sorry to hear of your loss,
I lost my grandma this year and feel cheated not being able to see her because of covid.
I know it’s a different situation but we have both lost a loved one. I feel I’ve lost a part of me. I feel angry and sad it’s a visious cycle every day.
I just wanted to say that you are not alone. My grandma had altzimas and to be honest I lost her a while ago. She was my best friend.
People tell you it will get better and yes it probably will but I think we just feel we need to hold on untill we can accept what we have lost.
I hope things start to feel better for you.
X