Coping with mum after loosing dad

Hi All
New to the group but after some advice.
We lost dad 5 years ago to pancreatic cancer - in the end it was only 5 days from him going into hospital to him dying. To say we were devastated was an understatement - he was just 67 at the time! I also suffered a miscarriage three weeks afterwards too so it was a pretty awful time.
My mum is a very stong, determined woman who i am extremely close too - it bugs my brother that we are so close. I speak to her every day and she is very close to my two children. Every winter she struggles with her emotions/ grief - she likes to be out in the garden etc and loves the hot weather but this winter she has been far worse than ever before. I don’t think she has dealt with her grief of loosing dad at all. She’s always liked a drink but recently she is drinking way too much and is putting it before important things such as looking after her grandchildren etc. I totally lost my patience with her on Monday after another binge session so now we aren’t speaking. First time in my 45 years i can’t just pick up the phone to talk to her and its killing me. I think she’s so depressed and caught up in her own grief all she wants to do is be with dad which is just heart-breaking to watch.

I took her to the doctors a few weeks ago to get help to which we got there and she said she was Ok and coming out of it so that was that. I’ve arranged for local grief counselling and she won’t go to that. I’m lost what to do next. Really wish my dad was here too!

Much love to you all x x

Hi @Ginster,
I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling . I’m so sorry to hear about your dad, and how your mum is feeling. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

Please do take care of yourself,
Becca :blue_heart:
Online Community Team