Coping with the loss of my dad

I try to come off as coping well with what’s has happened and a little indifferent about the whole situation to everyone I know and work with. I convince myself that it’s done and over and there is nothing to be upset about almost like it happened to someone other than me.

It’s when I am not trying to distract myself that hurts, those moments where just one thought sea me off and I justness sit there and cry.

I know that I am finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything, it’s affecting my work and I acknowledge it’s wrong but there are mornings where I wake up and I can’t face people, or the situation where I have to pretend everything is fine.

People have said “I’m here if you ever want to talk” but I know it’s social obligation and they don’t really want to be put in that situation. I don’t have many friends, and fewer stil that I feel I can openly talk to about how I feel without being told what you expect to hear.

I’m just in a state of limbo I guess… I don’t know…

Hi Emily,

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. It’s ok to be upset and it’s really important to allow yourself to grieve. It’s not wrong at all to have days where you can’t face things - be kind to yourself and let yourself take time out or have a cry when you need to.

I’m sorry that you don’t feel that you can talk openly about your feelings with your friends. I hope that it helps a little to be able to write things down here - you are among people who understand on this site. While you wait for more replies to your post, you may be interested to read some of the other posts in the Losing a Parent section and post some replies if you see any that you can relate to.

If there’s anything I can help with, or you have any questions about this Online Community, just let me know.

Priscilla
Community Manager

Hi Emily
My thoughts are with you, there are no words that can make it any easier for you…
I lost my wonderful Dad my absolute hero 15months ago all I can say is be easy on yourself let your emotions out and take a day and a step at a time…
I’m still struggling and cry everyday and still cannot believe it has happened but I need and you need to look at it positively that we must have had great Dads and wonderful relationships to feel this emmense loss…
True friends will be there for you but if it’s anything like me ‘some’ will surprise you and not know how to deal with your loss and grief…
Keep busy Emily and keep strong your Dad will always be with you…
I hope this page helps and take care
Claire x