Coping with the loss of my Dad

My Dad died in May this year due to liver failure. He was an alcoholic for many years which affected my childhood massively. I hadn’t seen my Dad for 2 years when he died and I am struggling with the guilt.

Hello Katie22,

Welcome to this community. I’m very sorry to hear that your dad died in May this year. It sounds as though the circumstances around his death were difficult. It’s understandable that you’re struggling with guilt and you’ll find in this community that many others have experienced similar feelings.

Guilt is a really common part of grief and there are some helpful articles out there that talk about it. Here’s one from What’s Your Grief that may be worth a read: https://whatsyourgrief.com/guilt-and-grief-2/

This is a safe and supportive space for you to share how you’re feeling so I hope you keep talking to us for as long as you find it helpful.

Let me know if there’s anything I can support you with.

Best wishes,
Eleanor

Hi Katie, There is always guilt in death, and life. My beloved Dad was elderly. He was in respite care when he fell terminally I’ll. If he hadn’t have been there…My brother is an alcoholic, you shouldn’t blame yourself.