Counselling

I am coming up to a year (16 Aug 2021) since my husband died of Lung cancer and I seem to be getting worse instead of better . I was advised by more than one person to have counselling because I wasn’t moving forward. But I don’t know how to move forward, I have no close family, but I have have friends, who unfortunately seem to think I have grieved for long enough, hence the counselling. I have had 3 sessions so far, but my question is, has any one else had counselling and did it help them, and did you feel very tired and emotionally drained after a session. My counselor is a lovely lady but I don’t seem to be making much progress, as I still feel that I am dragging myself through one miserable day to the next.

1 Like

Hi Misty, so sorry to hear about your husband.
My wife passed away on April 29th this year and I have had counselling.
For me it helped talking to a stranger and being able to say whatever I felt at the time. Also helped me work things out in my head as I spoke as it let me realise my loss and come to terms with the reality of my life now.
I did get tired sometimes and finished the session early as I felt I had said enough, it was draining for me but on the whole helpful.
I also have a hypnotherapist who has been great, getting me to look at my positives and reinforcing those thoughts, he has been a Godsend. With him it is all about how well I am doing.
My wife is forever in my heart and the love of my life and I still struggle at times when I think of her, but I am sure she would want me to continue in whatever fashion I can.
Good luck to you, sending love.
Joe x

2 Likes