Dad has left us after long battle with Parkinson's

Hello, my father passed away last week aged 84. He suffered from Parkinson’s for more than 20 years and in more recent years with Dementia too. My mother is 80 and was his main carer. Dad was peaceful at the end and is in a better place now. Dad’s funeral will be on 12 April. I am feeling very tired and a bit concerned about returning to work later this week as my energy is very low. Interested to know what tips people have for dealing with making arrangements and returning to work while feeling low and tired. Thanks.

Hi AllyV,

I’m so sorry to hear that your Dad passed away last week, it’s understandable that you’re feeling very tired at the moment.

It must be difficult for you returning to work while you’re feeling low and tired. Do you have any good friends/colleagues at work that you will be able to talk to?

When my Mum died I found returning to work & the routine that gave me reassuring. I asked my Manager in advance to tell my colleagues not to ask me about how I was or express their condolences as anyone asking about my Mum made me cry. If I wanted to talk then that that was a different story. I had a couple of close colleagues who I would tell if I was feeling upset at any point.

I took it day by day and tried not to put too much pressure on myself to be ‘normal’ or happy and chatty. You need to be able to deal with it in your own way.

Dealing with all the arrangements just got done a bit on automatic pilot really. You don’t think you’ll be able to deal with it all but you do somehow.

Do you have a close friend or family member you can talk to about how you’re feeling?

Take care & keep posting. Trudy x

Hello Trudy, thanks for your nice supportive reply.