Dads first birthday without him

It’s been just over nine weeks since my dad passed away from Covid-19.

His 60th birthday is next Monday. Me and my family are going to get together in a garden and release some balloons for him I’ve booked the day off work also it will just be so hard.

Today we have had to hand the keys back to the council. The home where we grew up. I thought I would feel a lot worse than I do but I just don’t think it’s sinking in is this normal?

I’m finding it difficult in family relationships and friendships no because people obviously don’t understand fully what I’ve been through and what I’m going through. Some people seem to have just disappeared including a lot of family members it’s so hurtful. Other people don’t like to mention what has happened to me and it seems like they are scared to bring it up. Then the sources seem to think I should just be back to normal like it never happened. It’s just so hard I never imagined it to be as hard as this.

It’s like my world has stopped but the world is still going round without me.

I’m struggling.

Hello RavenRose,

I’m so sorry to hear about [situation]. It sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and you are feeling overwhelmed.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Another good place to get support is Cruse Bereavement, they offer a helpline, email support, and counselling and support groups through their local services: 0808 808 1677, helpline@cruse.org.uk

Take care,

Michelle

Online Community team