Dads funeral tomorrow 21st Dec

My dad died suddenly on the 2nd Dec. Due to hospital delaying we nearly had to wait till the new year for his funeral. But they fit us in 21st Dec. However now it’s the night before I’m filled with the biggest fear about saying goodbye for the last time to him physically being in the world. I’ve got a reading of my own words to give tomorrow but now I don’t know how I’ll get through it. Seems such a cruel world especially on top of Christmas :frowning:

8 Likes

I was so afraid I wouldn’t be able to cope, but I did. We can handle more than we think sometimes. And if you should weep, that’s ok. Everything you feel that day is ok and everyone will understand. If you pause while reading or struggle to get the words out, that’s allright too. I’m sorry for your loss. :heart:

4 Likes

@Loopy92 my sincerest condolences to you at this difficult time. My Dad died in March & his funeral was delayed until April due to the hospital forms not being signed & incompetence. The only good part was he was in the hands of amazing funeral directors. I know it seems like the hardest goodbye but as I told my mum, Dad dying was the worst bit & the funeral was our time. Like @Ulma posted, I wonder how I’d cope but I did somehow stumble thru it as will you. Funerals are distressing so no one will judge you if you’re overcome. I sobbed throughout my Dad’s as did everyone else. I hope tomorrow goes well. Be strong. Xx

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. My mum’s funeral was last Wednesday and beforehand I didn’t think I could make it through, I felt sick the day before and just couldn’t bare the thought of saying goodbye, but I managed it with the support of my partner, daughter and amazing funeral director. I’ll be honest, I even managed a little chuckle (though tears) when my partner did his tribute as it included funny stories about my mum and her amazing sense of humour, and when my daughter asked if she could eat some crisps mid service (she’s 5 and my mum would have found it funny).
It’s ok to pause if you get upset or the let someone else take over the reading too, you have to do what’s best for you.
We went out to the seaside after the funeral as I couldn’t cope with holding a wake and didn’t want to go back to the house; whatever you have planned, I would say do what feels right to you and gives you the space and support you need. Best wishes x

4 Likes

Thankyou all so much.
Sometimes it’s nice to talk to people who understand. I never thought at 31 I would lose him.
I know I have to be strong for him tomorrow
This is a lovely group of supportive people

5 Likes

Hello Loopy,

How did it go? Everyone on here is so brave. I wrote my dad’s eulogy but the minister read it out because I didn’t think I’d have the physical ability, through tears.

I too was dreading the service, but it was really lovely and just what my dad would have wanted. I worked hard on it, with help from my mum and 1 of my siblings.

As we started to sing the last hymn I was really sad - I just wanted to stay, and celebrate my dad’s life with his family and friends. We had an event afterwards.

I’m in my late thirties and never once thought I’d lose my dad at this age. We lost his dad when I was in my early thirties.

Again, just want to say that this community is so lovely, and reading everyone’s posts is very helpful x

2 Likes

Thankyou all for your messages,
I got through it. At first I was so full of nerves but I carried my dad in with my brother, partner and nephew. It felt surreal talking about him but I wanted to make sure everyone knew what a great man he was.
It was a beautiful service for dad and I’m glad I could plan and give him the send off he so much deserved

But knowing other people in are the same position helps. Never takes away the pain but knowing there are people to talk to when a lot think you’re just going to get over it in a few days

5 Likes