death of a friend

In November one of my closest friends passed away from suicide, he was only 21. i think of him every single day and miss him so much.
I keep feeling completely hopeless without him and don’t want to carry on, it was a complete shock and blind sighted me and I can’t help but wish I’d done more to help him

1 Like

Hello @char1,

I’m sorry to hear about your friend. Losing someone to suicide, especially at such a young age, is devastating and can bring up a lot of complex feelings alongside our grief. Thank you for bravely reaching out.

I’m hearing how painful this is all feeling and I want you to know that you’re not alone. There’s always someone out there to help you through this. We know that a lot of people experience thoughts of not wanting to go on during their grief journey. We have a video about it here which you might find helpful:

https://griefguide.sueryder.org/support/suicide

If you do feel these suicidal thoughts or feelings get too much, you can reach out to one of the following organisations who are always just a call or text away anytime you would like someone to talk to:

• Samaritans are available 24/7 to talk about anything that you are worried about in confidence. You can call them on 116 123.
  • Shout are contactable by text, 24/7. You can text SHOUT to 85258 and talk to them about anything.
  • You can also find your local NHS urgent mental health helpline here.
  • If you’re worried you’re going to hurt yourself, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E.

If you’re interested in counselling, we offer free sessions at Sue Ryder. You can also make an appointment with your GP and ask to be referred to counselling or other support services in your area. We have also recently launched a Grief Guide Service, which provides articles and interactive tools to help you cope with grief. If you’re interested in understanding more about grief and how you can manage it, please visit griefguide.sueryder.org

You might also wish to contact Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide - http://uk-sobs.org.uk/ or you can call them on 0300 111 5065.

You deserve this support, keep reaching out.

Take care,

Seaneen