Dying step dad and being stuck in another country

I’m 23 and an Australian who is currently living away from home in the UK.
I have recently found out my step dads liver disease condition is at its end and he doesn’t have much time left to live. I have no way of getting home in time to see him before he passes.
I am having a hard to time to deal with this as he has raised me since a baby and is the only dad I know. I’m finding it hard to accept and don’t know what to do with myself. I feel homesick, sad, lost and just lonely.
Each day is slow and I can’t concentrate on anything and won’t stop feeling sick or anxious on how different my life will be in the future.

Dear @Courtpyers, I am so sorry that your dad is near the end of his life, and that you are unable to be there with him. That is one of the worst things that can happen to us. The user @FelixTheCat lost her mum in Australia in an accident, and like you, she was unable to visit her, so she is someone who can probably understand your situation better than most. Please take care.

Hello Courtpyars,
I’m so sorry to read your message; my heart goes out to you. I’m also an Australian living in the UK and couldn’t get home when I lost my mum in March. She couldn’t even have a funeral because of lockdown. I know exactly what you mean about feeling homesick, sad, lost and lonely – I feel all of those things.
One of my ways of coping has been to email my family much more. I’m working on a family history and am surrounding myself with photos and stories of Mum and reading her old emails, cards and letters. I’m making sure my favourite memories of her are all recorded and written down.
I also never get tired of looking at websites about Australia. My favourite is Tourism Australia’s official instagram site: https://www.instagram.com/australia/?hl=en. The beauty of nature is so uplifting. I go for a long walk every day in England; even in the rain it feels good to be outdoors.
If I could have 5 more minutes with my mum, I’d tell her how much I loved her and how proud I was to have her as my mum. Are you able to Zoom or phone your stepdad, or write him an email before he passes?

This has happened to someone I know and just wanted to know your not alone. Life can be cruel and unfair now but you will get through it and discover your own resilience and support within the community. Your step dad would have your best interests at heart and won’t hold it against you. You don’t deserve this pain and you will get though with the right support.