Feeling lonely!

I’ve had my 13 year old granddaughter with me for a week which was lovely. I’ve just taken her home and can’t stop crying! The house is so empty. I feel like I’ve lost my husband all over again. :cry::cry:

6 Likes

Sorry to here of your loss.
My husband was 63 when he passed away 11 weejs ago.
I dont think i can get over the loneliness
Some days i can not have spoken to anyone during the day or night. I know i have to learn to live with my own company but the silence at home is hard to cooe with.
I will probably do some volunteering to get over the loneliness and hopefully be able to speak with some people during the day. The nights are another probkem not do easily solved just need to adjust to this lifestyle as now this is what i have for now
Take care

8 Likes

@Galaxy75. The only people I speak to some days are my carers who arrive for 30 mins at 07:30. I sometimes think I will forget how to speak. Today I had a 45 min telephone conversation with a neighbour as I needed to ask her to hand deliver a letter to my solicitor who keeps sending me large documents with no envelopes. She is coming over tomorrow evening to pick it up, a suit to go to the charity shop she works in and some lotion my husband used for eczema. That means I’ll have someone to talk to tomorrow. I can’t really volunteer until I can improve my mobility. It is very very lonely. I hope my sister in law will ring this week end otherwise after Saturday apart from my carers it won’t be until possibly Monday when a neighbour moves my bins to the kerb and usually pops in. I suspect it is similar or worse for many of us. And now it is raining !! Love and hugs to all on this site. Xx

3 Likes

I know.
I didnt realise being on my own would be so tough. Guess now i realise how much my husband did for me. He really looked after me following my cancer treatment. Now 2 years on from operations i havevto look after myself. I know i have not been looking after myself. Not eating sleeping losing weight. I am due back at hospital in October so better get my act together for appointment.
I am only 65 and feel like i have aged ovet the last 3 months since he passed.
Take care

2 Likes

Norman was my carer so he really did a hell of a lot for me. I can work around that but it’s his company and presence missing that is so hard. I have put on weight but a lot of that is that the doctor took me off diuretics. I am not eating properly although I am trying to watch the calories and try and eat at least 1piece of fruit a day. Sleep is the worst. My arthritis has been really bad over night so I am generally having to get up every 2 hours and don’t really sleep in between. You really do need to try and look after yourself for your next appointment. It’s what he would have wanted. Xx. Sandra

I am 71 but feel a whole lot older. Not quite 3 months for me.

So sorry to here of your

Sorry to here of your arthritis. It must be hard having ro deal with illness as well as missing your husband.
I hope you get a good nights sleep and your neighbour drops by for a chat.
Most of my neighbours only talk to me if we pass in the street. Guess they dont know what to say to me as my husband was the person they spoke to as he was always on the garden. At the moment i cant even go there and i am no gardener.
Maybe in time if not will just need to grt someone in to help out.
Take care x

I am sorry for all of us having to endure this awful lonely life of living alone. We are all missing our wonderful partners so much, it really is a desolate feeling. I live in an apartment and if there’s a day I’m not going out, I can usually find someone to speak to, if only when collecting my post.
Last Monday I didn’t speak to anyone and I felt quite strange mentally when I went to bed, so I really feel sorry for anyone who goes days without speaking to anyone.
Unfortunately, this weekend is a Bank Holiday so an extra day.
It’s a pity we can’t let each other have our telephone numbers otherwise on desperate days we could have little chats.
Sending hugs and at least we have each other on this site xx

3 Likes

We can let each other have our phone numbers via private messaging. Via private messaging annaessex and I have exchanged e mail addresses. It’s her birthday tomorrow so having just received some compensation I have sent her a small gift just to make the day a little easier. Xx.

2 Likes

My neighbours are in and out all the time. They just knock and come in. I don’t know what I would do without them. I am sure my arthritis will improve as my grief gradually becomes more manageable. Plus my daily exercise regime is supposed to help. The wet weather doesn’t. My own fault for being overweight and desk bound for all these years. My neighbour will definitely be in tomorrow and I am pretty sure Erika will be in Monday. She usually is. We are a very close knit community just here. A couple if my neighbours due to a hip replacement and covid couldn’t manage their garden so another couple have tidied it for them and the waste has gone in my garden waste bin. It takes a while for people moving in to get used to us and join in. Xx

1 Like

West Country. South Somerset. Just outside crewkerne. Although the people in the community have moved down here and not generally locally born

1 Like

Nothing like your cancer. My sister in law has terminal ovarian cancer. She is very very brave. Xx

1 Like

The loneliness is something that I didn’t anticipate. At least I can still go out for a drive and a walk. There is no one to just chat with and have a little moan and a laugh anymore. It really hurts and I hate the long weekends, I go for days in isolation.

4 Likes

It’s going to be worse this weekend as it is a bank holiday although of course I still have my carers coming in so I at least see and speak to someone once a day.

1 Like

I know bank holiday and our anniversary 36 years it would have been on 28th August. We dudnt get to enjoy our retirement didnt make state pension age life is cruel now just have the loneliness that this separation brings.
Life without our partners is so hard and could be years on our own so i cannonly hope i can live with my own company now x

3 Likes

I agree @Tansy, it’s the times I want to talk or ask my husband about something or other, and have a good laugh. Whilst watching tv, we would chat about a programme, decide what to watch, etc. I hate being responsible for everything and worry about the odd thing, but of course it’s the overall missing them that’s hard to accept. This new life we now have is alien to me.

2 Likes

At least at my age and according to the annuity tables I have probably 12 years. We had nearly 50 years together.

1 Like

Hi
I can 100% recommend volunteering. It was five months after my husband died when everything had been sorted when I said to myself “what now?” Although I have a very supportive family and a few good friends they all have their own lives to live and I had to sort myself out. So, for the last two years I have been volunteering at a local community hub/food bank and to be honest it has saved me. The friends I have made that I see twice a week are a great group of people who know my circumstances but I’m treated just one of a team. It does help to feel I am giving something back and at the same time speaking with all types of people who all have their own problems. I love it ! Yes of course I still have down days I think I always will, but to have something to focus on other than grief even for just two days has really helped me.

I hope my message helps someone out there.
Much love
Georgina

4 Likes

I agree life is so hard, im lucky i have a sister i phone every day and i have my children texting a lot.
I think we should try not to go a day without speaking to anyone. I go out to shops just to hear voices, im not eating at all most days i dont know how long things will last like this. Chat anytime

1 Like