Funeral

So the funeral over on Thursday.
This over whelming feeling of " what do I do now"… just an over powering sense of loss.
My mum took up my time, my thoughts 24/7, now its over.
I dont know what i’m going to do

2 Likes

Hello @Ruby2, I am so sorry for the loss of your mum. I wanted to share this thread with you which talks about feelings after the funeral - I hope you can see that you’re not alone in feeling overpowered with loss.

We offer free bereavement counselling which is held via video chat. If you think it could be helpful, you can find out more here.

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us - we are here to support you.

Take care
Seaneen

Hi Ruby, I’m so sorry to hear about your mum and about how you are now feeling. I lost my dad in May and also struggled with a complete feeling of confusion and loss after the funeral. I just remember thinking “where actually is he now?” and wondering what I was meant to do every day. It sounds a small thing but I found getting out and walking every day helped, it cleared my mind and allowed me some quiet but active time to think about dad, my future and what he would want for me moving forwards. I also bought myself a little notepad and just began to write to him about how I was feeling and this gradually turned into me writing down other things surrounding my own guilt etc and how best to move forwards. I am of course still thinking about him everyday in some form but the acute pain of things is beginning to soften. I’m sure it will come and go but eventually over time become a new part of my life (one I don’t want but one I have to accept regardless). I think this early after the funeral it is entirely “normal” to feel this way, to feel you will feel this way forever and also to hate how you are feeling and perhaps want to push it away. There is no “should” at this stage with regards how you are supposed to feel or what you are supposed to do. Perhaps you could think of small things or goals first that you feel your mum would want you to do then work towards those, even if that’s something simple like going out to somewhere new etc for an hour. I also thought about things I could do to honour dads memory like charity etc and helping others as I know he would have wanted. Sorry this has been a long waffle, I hope some of it is helpful