Grief during the pandemic: take part in research

Cardiff University and the University of Bristol are conducting a survey looking at the grief experiences and support needs of people bereaved during the pandemic. This research will help to identify ways of improving the care provided at the end of life and during bereavement.

If you have lost a loved one to Covid-19 or another cause of death during the pandemic, and would like to share your experience, you can complete the survey online.

I lost my son in July he took his life and can’t get the help I need me and my daughter and son are on our own I’m crying out for help but no one is there I don’t know how much longer I can go on with no help

So sorry Gail, I don’t have anything useful to offer but just to say I hope somehow you get whatever could possibly help you in this awful situation Take care xx

I’m so sorry for your loss. It must be so difficult for you and your children to process. You may have already done so, but have you tried ringing Samaritans to talk things through or maybe your GP? I found my GP to be very supportive and although what he could actually do was limited (medication, counselling referral) to have a medical professional validate my feelings did help me. Please reach out to the online agencies, I truly hope you find the help you need. You’re not alone xx

Thank you for your kind message if tried to get help thay say we will get back to you and thay don’t I tried if give up all hope now

Please don’t give up, your life will never be the same again, but you have it and children who love and need you. As hard as it is try and persevere with agencies that can help. Try and take it a day at a time, or even an hour at a time if you need to. Be as strong as you’re able each day with no pressure on yourself. I can’t understand what you’re going through but am happy to be a friend you can message at tough times if you think that may help?
I’ve had so much bereavement in my life the last 4 years, culminating with the loss of my mum November last year, I’m stumbling along not doing great and dreading her upcoming first anniversary, but I’m doing a little better than I was.
Always happy to be a shoulder xxx

1 Like

Hello Gail, I’m so sorry to hear about your son. It sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and you are feeling overwhelmed.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Another good place to get support is Cruse Bereavement. They offer a helpline, email support, and counselling and support groups through their local services: 0808 808 1677, helpline@cruse.org.uk, http://www.cruse.org.uk/bereavement-services

You could also contact Child Bereavement UK, who support families with the loss of a child, and also support bereaved children. 0800 02 888 40 http://www.childbereavementuk.org/

Take care,

Mick

Online Community team

1 Like

Hi have you tried SOBS survivors of bereavement of suicide.? X

Hi yes it didn’t help talking over the phone thay can’t here you because I cry to much I blame my self for my son’s death its eating me away

Hi Gail
It sounds like it is so raw and overwhelming and early days. Phone is not easy and we cannot see people face to face. I hope you get the right support soon for you

I wrote a letter to my Dad and poured out my feelings. I screamed and howled at him in a field in the middle of nowhere. when I could not get support straight away and my feelings need to be expressed.
Big hugs to you
x

Please keep writing on here too, people are so supportive on here. x

I’m so sorry to hear about your son. I don’t really know what to say to comfort you. I can tell you that I lost my son too, in April this year. He didn’t take his own life, he died from brain cancer, so I can understand only part of what you are going through. We might have some things in common, grieving for a son is so hard to bear. My son was grown up, age 36, but I am struggling to cope with it too. There have been times I have felt like giving up, I live on my own, but I’m still here. I miss him so much, I guess you miss your son too. If you want to talk, then I’m happy to listen. Maybe we can support each other.
Anyway, I’m here for you. Sending love xx

1 Like