Has Grief become an unhealthy habit or is it an addiction ?

I agree with you in that stereotyping those who are grieving as being unable to cope etc is wrong.

However, grief is so very different for each of us. Losing a parent, losing a partner, losing a child ( the latter is my situation) , losing a best friend each will be different for each person.

I do think we need to realise what support we each need, there is no right and wrong. Does the reading of another’s loss and grief, really help or does it tend to make us focus more on our grief?

I don’t know any of the answers. All I do know is that, since the death of my son, just 10 months ago, I have changed, and my life will never be the same. Is that, I wonder the effect of grief or as I believe, the effect of a devastating loss of someone so very precious. How can someone else really understand how that has been?
More questions than answers?

5 Likes

Dear Pipsi
I do hope that among these replies you have found some help with your own loss which you seem to be making a big effort to come to terms with and understand.
I found your question very interesting but I have no answer I’m afraid and wouldn’t dare to try to find one.!!!
I wish you well in your quest for answers,
Good luck to you.

Thank you, Pattidot…my search continues…Pipsi

Dear Beth123, The loss of your son must have been devastating. How old was he, may I ask ? As you wrote, there are so many questions and so few answers. I think this question: Does the reading of another’s loss and grief, really help or does it tend to make us focus more on our grief? is very good and pertinent. I’m not sure that reading many posts about the loss and sorrow of others is helpful. It does, of course, give you insight as to how many people are suffering in a similar way to you…but how is that knowledge helping you recover ?
You are so correct when you mention that nobody can truly understand your grief and grieving…and why ? Because the loss, grief and grieving are so extremely personal, aren’t they ? If only there were simple answers ! Take care…Pipsi

Thank you Pipsi

It is good to know that someone shares my thoughts about grief.

Sometimes we almost feel like an alien in what once was a familiar world and we desperately want to return to what once felt normal. Our head says that can never happen but out heart wants to belive it can.

Thank you again x

2 Likes

Learn to live along side our grief -
that is what we must try to do.

The life we knew has gone but we have to find a new path - -
Little by little we let go of our loss, but never of our love.

G. X

6 Likes

Oh that’s just perfect G. That last sentence “little by little we let go of our loss, but never of our love”

So beautiful. Thank you for that. I find it so comforting
Janey xx

5 Likes