Helping a loved one

Hi,
My partner lost his older brother to suicide a few years ago and is not coping well. Counselling and any kind of professional help scares him a lot, and he’s very Tunnel visioned in the fact it won’t work because it didn’t work for his brother. I’m scared he’s going to start feeling suicidal or like he can’t cope. I can’t get him to a professional. If there’s anyone out there who’s experienced losing someone through suicide, how can I help him

Hello Katlesss18,

Thanks for contacting us. and I’m sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your partner.

This forum could be a good place for your partner to express how he is feeling, bereavement comes in many forms, and everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what he is going through.

The following support exists to meet the needs and overcome the isolation experienced by people over 18 who have been bereaved by suicide. Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide - http://uk-sobs.org.uk/ 0300 111 5065.

And of course, there is the Samaritans - 24/7 free helpline: 116 123, jo@samaritans.org. Their advisors are experienced in all sorts of issues, including possible safeguarding concerns.

Please try and get him to contact one of the above in the first instance, but know we are here for you both.

Take care,
Audrey.
Online Community Team.