Holiday alone?

Hello everyone, wanting to ask if any of you have ventured alone on a holiday?

Martin and I loved to travel, it was our favourite thing to do! Usually we had 3-4 trips per year, depending on the destination.

My first Christmas last year without him was just devastating. I don’t want to put myself through that again; Christmas was our most cherished holiday period, although we didn’t have children, we acted like big kids. Don’t think I’ll ever celebrate it again tbh…

Been looking this morning at The Canary Islands. We went every year to Lanzarote, for obvious reasons will not be travelling there! I was looking at the other islands and as we always booked a Villa, I’m thinking of taking myself off to a Villa for a couple of weeks and be away for Christmas.

I will be on my own, do you think that’s a huge mistake? I’m terrified I’ll get there and have a meltdown!

Dottie x❤️

4 Likes

Hello, I can only answer for myself but I tried a holiday that we’d done before & I found all the memories came crashing in & I didn’t enjoy it at all so I tried a holiday that we’d never done or even thought about, I was apprehensive but I had a really good time & enjoyed it so much so I booked again for this year.

5 Likes

@Dottie72 we too loved to travel and I’m heartbroken we won’t travel together again. I so miss our holidays (we did lots of villa holidays too) but definitely don’t feel brave enough to go solo. I really take my hat of to those that do. If you feel you could do it absolutely go for it. Perhaps a hotel would be less isolating for you? Or do you feel you wouldn’t be up to seeing and speaking to others? There are holidays designed for singles and I’ve heard cruises do it very well. Good luck in your venture.

2 Likes

@Flower_garden can I ask where you went and what type of holiday it was? Did you go on your own? I know I couldn’t go somewhere we went together as would be too painful. Maybe in time it will be different.

2 Likes

@Jan17 @Flower_garden thank you so much for your replies. Yes, I will never travel to anywhere we went together, I would find it heartbreaking.

I would prefer a Villa, at least I can do my own thing, plus I couldn’t stand to see happy couples!

It’s so difficult to know what to do, even the thought of a plane journey alone fills me with dread! ( even though I’ve traveled a lot on my own for work) We always had such fun travelling, from the minute we packed our cases…:pensive::broken_heart:

I think I’m going to book, it’s that or another Christmas season heartbroken. I spent most of the day last year on my own, no tree, decorations etc. Can’t stand the thought of that again.

I did look at Solo holidays, but tbh, as you are effectively in a group, I don’t want to have to explain why I’m alone.

Big hugs to you both
Dottie xx​:rose::rose:

3 Likes

Hi, I went on a cruise, got picked up from home & taken straight to the shop & home again, I didn’t have any stress about getting there, I felt completely safe on my own which was one o go my worries, there were quite a few there alone, the cruise had organised events for solos you could go along or not, I met lots of people & felt really comfortable & looked after.

3 Likes

Hi Dotty A villa would be nice but i think on your own would be expensive but if you fancy it give it a go .love hope5 xx

1 Like

@Hope5 It will actually be cheaper in a Villa, if you travel solo to a Hotel or on a Cruise, they charge a ridiculous supplement on top. I’ve walked away from my computer for a hour, just to have a think before I go ahead.

Big hugs
Dottie x❤️

We loved to holiday and we were going to do a campervan tour of Italy for 3 weeks this year for his 50th. Gutted to not be going but don’t think I can do it alone. I like company. So maybe in the future but not for me now. Hats off to anyone who could do it on their own.

Book it and go for it!

5 Likes

Oh i didnt know that .we often went to air b and b get a place our own or with host s in their own homes .The hosts have always been loveley and left you on your own and given you privacy . I remember going to Moraira in Spain to a loveley private villa very quiet but we did need a car . Love hope xx

2 Likes

@Ali29 That is so heartbreaking. My Martins 50th would have been next year, we were planning a 3 week trip, LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas… I’ll never go to those places now…:pensive:

I’ve been hovering over the “Book now” button… will think a little longer…

Big hugs
Dottie x❤️

5 Likes

@Dottie72 good luck and let us know if you take the plunge. Xx

1 Like

@Flower_garden thank you for your reply. Maybe one day I’ll be brave enough.

1 Like

@Ali29 that’s so sad. We didn’t travel much during Covid like so many others. Then my husband was getting chemo so didn’t venture too far. We were waiting for his treatment to finish before we went travelling again but we never got the chance :broken_heart:. We have all been robbed of our future plans and it’s just not fair. Sending hugs.

3 Likes

@Dottie72 hi, just my thoughts but if you are unsure,maybe it’s not the right thing to do, I would hate to think of you alone and upset in a different country, especially at that time of year. You really don’t need the stress of thinking have you done the right thing after booking it. Maybe try a weekend away ,see how that goes first. I know my thoughts aren’t really any good, I still can’t go to my local beach, hopefully you make the right decision for you, sending big hug xtake carex

2 Likes

@Broken2222 Oh I do know what you mean. I phoned my Brother just now, he’s not keen on the idea, obviously he can’t join me, it’s Christmas, but I have to think about me. I just hated last year so much and I don’t know what’s worse?

I’ve not booked yet, going to decide by the end of today…

Big hugs
Dottie x❤️

1 Like

@Dottie72
You should be proud of yourself for just looking 8nto the possibility of going, it wasn’t that long ago you hadn’t really left the house.

I did have a crazy thought that maybe all us widows should go together lol. Logistically, it would be a nightmare lol

5 Likes

@Jan17
Yes we do France every year but hadn’t done it for a few years because of covid. We finally had our 2020 holiday in Aug 22 and I’m so glad we got back to France before he died. He loved it their and we looked forward to it every year. I’m sorry you were robbed of the chance to go away again.

2 Likes

@Ali29 Jeepers, I know. I do try most days, even if it’s just a little walk!

You know what, nothing is impossible! How cool would it be to all meet up!!!

Big hugs
Dottie x❤️

4 Likes

I can’t bear the thought of no more holiday’s so I am going to book a cruise for next year on my own.
I could only do a cruise because I wouldn’t feel safe anywhere else besides I have no sense of direction and would easily get lost lol. I plan to do a coach holiday first for a few days to see how I cope and test the water.
Think long and hard Dottie because Christmas is going to be a very difficult time of year let alone spending it in a different country alone but whatever you decide will be what’s right for you.
It would be great if we could all go together but it would be hard to plan it lol

4 Likes