How do I cope with the emptiness

Hi all, I’m new to this site but wanted to ask for advice , I lost my dad September last year who was my hero and best friend he fought cancer for almost 6 years, my mum sadly passed 3 months later on Christmas Day being unable to find enjoyment in life without him.
I have had some time off work to try and deal with my grief and have had some counselling but I am really struggling with random panic attacks and total downward spirals where I just cannot stop crying .
Does anybody have any strategies that they use to help you when overwhelmed ?? I’d be so grateful
Thanks

1 Like

Hello @Aims85 ,

I’m so sorry to hear about your parents and so close together that is so difficult for you. It sounds as though things are very difficult at the moment and you are feeling like you are really struggling.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you right now.

Take care - keep reaching out,

Alex

1 Like

Hello, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. We have very similar stories to share. I lost my precious Mum last April (2022) within only three weeks of a cancer diagnosis. Only eight weeks later my dear Dad died. It has been absolutely excruciating and I know what you are going through. Like you I have had some counselling and still do dip in and out of it when I feel the need to. I feel my grief is ever changing and at the moment I find i’m struggling. Like you it is hard to describe the loneliness one feels. I am married and have two sons in their twenties and have many lovely friends, but nothing replaces the love I received from my Mum and Dad. I know I’ll be ok, but have resigned myself to thinking my life will never be as full as it was with them in it. I hope you are ok and have others to lean on for support. Grief is so so difficult like nothing before xx

1 Like

With regards to the anxiety and panic feeling you are experiencing this is very common and not something you should read too much into. Anxiety is part of the grieving process. If you feel it is overwhelming you and disabling you I suggest you try some relaxation techniques or exercise. Get outdoors as much as possible I feel that certainly helps x

2 Likes

Thankyou for taking the time to respond , it so sad to hear you have a similar story to share but without sounding weird good to know I’m not alone in how I’m feeling (not that anyone should have to go through this) . It’s so unbelievably hard , I’m lucky to have a good family friends partner and son of 17 who take time to check in on me but again no one can replace the love you feel from your parents …. Sending hugs and positivity to you xx

3 Likes