How do I help myself and my depressed grieving son

My husband who passed away in March has left such a gaping hole in my life and our grown up sons life ( he suffers from depression ) I’m finding it so hard to help him through the loss of his dad and deal with my loss as well
We don’t live close to each other and have no other family, he is so negative and down it makes me feel useless and helpless
I feel lonely and empty without mu husband I just want to shut the door and stay in bed, i so so wish I could have gone with him
I try to be upbeat to help my son but am struggling there is no where to turn

1 Like

JDB, it’s hard when we loss our loved ones and I can feel for you and your son. It really sounds that you both could do with help to regain a little life. I would honestly suggest you look at Cruse and Sue Ryder for help both are free and I know from my own experience it helps. It’s just someone to listen to you which stops you feeling totally alone. It’s hard to come to deal with the loss on your own so please think about. S xx

https://www.sueryder.org/on-line-bereavement-counselling

Hi JDB,

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. I’m hearing how painful this is all feeling and I want you to know that you’re not alone. There’s always someone out there to help you through this.

If you do feel these thoughts of wanting everything to end get too much, you can reach out to one of the following organisations who are always just a call or text away anytime you would like someone to talk to:

• Samaritans are available 24/7 to talk about anything that you are worried about in confidence. You can call them on 116 123.
  • Shout are contactable by text, 24/7. You can text SHOUT to 85258 and talk to them about anything.
  • If you have any concerns for your health or safety, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E.

If you’re interested in counselling, we offer free sessions at Sue Ryder. You can also make an appointment with your GP and ask to be referred to counselling or other support services in your area.

You deserve this support, keep reaching out.

Take care,
Michelle