How to cope

Hi I’m Dot, not coping with life at the minute due to losing my mam and my ex partner within a year, feel like im losing my mind

Hello Dot,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve lost both your mam and your ex partner in such a short space of time. Grief is overwhelming under any circumstances, but having two losses in a year can be even more difficult to deal with. It’s important to have outlets for your emotions and to be able to talk about things, either with people around you, or by writing things down here on this site.

Our users are a supportive lot and I hope that it helps a little bit to be among people who understand. You may find it helpful to read through some of the recent conversations in our Losing a Parent section: https://support.sueryder.org/community/losing-parent - feel free to post replies to any of those if there are people you’d like to talk more to.

The loss of an ex partner can bring up conflicting emotions, depending on how the relationship ended, and how things were between you afterwards. However, past or present, this was someone who was a big part of your life, so it is understandable that you may grieve for this person.