How to help a partner who’s lost a parent

My fiancée lost him mum in a tragic accident almost 2 years ago now, up until now we haven’t grieved properly as I believe it all happened to quickly for us to do this. Lately it’s started to catch up with us and especially my fiancée, he cries alone and sometimes says he doesn’t want to wake up in the morning. I’ve suggested to him the possibility of getting some professional help but he refuses. What can I do to help him? He doesn’t want to discuss her or what happened to her and I think losing her so suddenly at the age of 17 has really hit him hard. Any advice is appreciated, I just want to help him.

Hi Abbie,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that your fiancé lost his mum at such a young age, and that the grief is now starting to catch up with him. It sounds as though it is really hard for you not knowing how to support him. But by being there and giving him the chance to talk about his feelings, you are already doing something important to help.

Here are some webpages with some information that you might find useful.

You could also have a read of some of the conversations in the Losing a Parent section of this Online Community.

You might also find it helpful to read and reply to this conversation on supporting a grieving partner: