How to help Mum now Dad has gone

Dad passed in April. Mum is hurting so much, crying for long periods of time, lonely and saying life seems pointless now.

I was checking in with her everyday, dropping round with meals, she has been round our house but she is so miserable.

I’ve suggested support groups, social groups, we are taking her to see her sister and on holiday with us.

Is there more I can do? Will she eventually be able to live a happy life again? I’m very worried about her.

TIA

1 Like

@Pennywell hi I am so very sorry for your loss and your mums loss I lost my soulmate pauline in April and its so devastating and heartbreaking losing the love of your life all I can say is keep on doing what you are and be there for your mum give her as much support as you can she is going to be feeling lonely empty lost and longing for him they offer counselling on here or you could try cruse or have your mum talk to her doctor you could also introduce her to this site where she could find support and talk to others going through the same heartache to be honest when you lose your soulmate it feels like your heart is being ripped out 24 7 take care of you and your mum

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice. I’m sorry you are going through the same heartache.

Speaking as a mum of adult children who has lost my soulmate, ultimately you cannot ease the pain. You can be there and help with the feelings of loneliness- which it sounds as though you are doing. The only thing that could put this right is for us to have our soulmates back. All we want to do as parents now is to prevent our children going through any more pain. My future has been obliterated as everything was built around being with him. Your mum will need a lot of support for a long time but may need this from different sources - counselling, friends, etc. - as she may not want you to hurt any more than you are. Just try to keep the communication open and carry on listening and being there. Sending hugs

1 Like

I know how you’re feeling @Pennywell. I find it extremely hard seeing my Dad in pain and lonely after we lost Mum last August. I was trying too to suggest stuff but have had to accept that while I can keep him company and make him laugh I can’t fill in the empty space. I think he feels like his life is over too in a lot of ways. Its very tough. Just feels so uncertain.

1 Like