Huge Step Today

Today I took the plunge & booked a solo cricket tour trip, me & my late husband are massive cricket fans & been all over to watch England with the Barmy Army. In 2019 we went to Barbados in the January he passed away in December. We’ve done that trip 4 times & there’s a tour coming up in December this year, so I’ve only gone & booked it. I know Derek will be proud because had he still been here we’d have done this trip together. Now I’ve booked it I’m feeling a bit scared but everything is organised & I’ll be with like minded people. Yesterday I went to our local cricket club on my own in the sunshine, had a couple of beers & watched the match. This is the first time I’ve done that too, I think this year in particular 3 & half years on I’m realising that if I don’t start doing things I’ve a lot of lonely unhappy years ahead of me. Derek is always with me, he gives me the strength & pulls me through the darkest days & I’m sure it was him that guided me to that trip & it was certainly him that gave me the push to book it. I hope this gives those in the early days of their grief when all there is is despair & hopelessness a bit of comfort that although nothing will ever ever be the same & I’ll never feel the true happiness we felt together, there’s a way to live some sort of happy life. I think you have to get through acceptance & that’s a long journey.
Love & strength to all :heart: here’s a photo of us on one of our many cricket trips :heart:
Image-3

15 Likes

Well done for making that step, it’s a big one! Absolutely beautiful photo, you both look so happy…:heart:

Dottie x🌹

3 Likes

@Jodel712 well done you! That is a huge step. Take care.

3 Likes

@Jodel712
Well done. That’s amazingly brave.
I love watching cricket on TV, so did my husband, but he really preferred the shorter versions of the game.
Freddie Flintoff in the old days, and now Ben Stokes his favourite cricketers.
I will look out for you on TV in December!

And it is an absolutely gorgeous photo by the way.

Lots of love and hugs :heart::heart::hugs::hugs::cricket_bat_and_ball::cricket_bat_and_ball:

3 Likes

Lovely photo of a loving couple. You are really brave to go on a holiday. Sending you lots of love and hugs.

3 Likes

Well done Jodel
I like posts like yours and hope that it gives those members in the early stage of their grief journey hope that at the end of that long dark tunnel there is a light.
Your so right we will never be the same people but we can forge ahead to a life again. I agree, I was told in the early stages that acceptance was all important. I also feel my husband pushing me on to get on with a life.
I firmly believe that we manage to do things again when we are ready and you have made that move to pick up the pieces.
Pat xxx

3 Likes

Well done you

3 Likes