I am new here

hi i lostg my husband of 47 yrs on 16th april 2022 to sepsis and find myself very much alone as i was a carer for over 10 yrs, so any friends i had i lost touch with. And as i dont go out much i find it hard at my age to make new friends.

7 Likes

I am so sorry that you lost your husband i lost my wife of 51 years just before Christmas 2022 i like you had lost my friends over the years. It can make you feel that you are alone i thought the same i searched and tried many of the councillors services without success.
I was feeling that i had been forgotten but i reached out to age uk who have experience in a partners sad loss who hold informal meetings for people who are in the same situation.
I also reached out and joined this forum it has been a great help to read the responses of other users believe me you are not alone.

5 Likes

Sadly, its the reality of life that friends dont come and knock at our doors, we have to go out and put ourselves in a position to meet new people. Meeting other lonely people might be ok, but much better is to meet people with shared interests, not just loneliness.
I joined a ukulele group, and actually been approached by a member of the opposite sex about a platonic friendship, so we now play songs together, walk dogs together, and have meals out together. Lots of other acquantances from getting out there, not looking for friends (not on the pull!,) but just in the position for it to happen. Remember lots of other people want friendship as well.
The main way for us to get involved in things we are interested in is through the U3a, which exists to provide opportunities to meet other people and activities.
I’d google u3a to find what local groups are available for you to join, and give it a go
Good luck.

2 Likes

Dear SueF1, I am so sorry for your loss. I am in a similar situation as you. I am on my own and my friend who is living close by has never really time. She ( over 70 years old) is sickly and his husband and son are both disabled so I do not want to put more pressure on her. I am kind of getting used to being on my own but I hate the feeling of being lonely. which is a completely different thing. I am 62 and my husband was 65 as he suddenly died this February. I still cannot believe that he is not there anymore. I have his urn in our bedroom so I can cuddle and talk to him. Do you have a local library? They sometimes have hobbies or book groups you might join. I also have days when I do not want to go out or speak to someone because it takes such a lot of energy just to get up and I have no motivation and energy to do anything else. Sending lots of love and hugs.

4 Likes

@SueF1 I like many on here will know exactly how you feel.
Might I recommend the following bereavement support group. Login
They’re online but organise local meet ups for coffee and cakes etc., you’d be in the company of people who are very understanding and supportive, all in some way having experienced what you have.
They have weekly zoom meetings that you can, if you should choose, either contribute to, or just sit and listen. I believe members have organised outings too but I’ve no personal experience of that.
Nothing to be lost by opening the link and having a look.
I lost my wife of 49 years on the same day, 16th April 2022, peritoneal cancer, her death was unexpected and left me somewhat traumatised. With the exception of a very few friends, most of ‘our’ friends have abandoned me and like you, apart from shopping, I don’t venture out much either.
I hope maybe you’ll find some support in ‘Way Up’?

4 Likes

thank you for your comments x I dont do zoom, i havent got the facilities to do it and i dont like talking to people like that. Age uk i have had no help from whatsoever despite my emailing them and phoning. I do belong to way up however if they dont like yuor replies to something they report you, not allowed to have an opinion unless it goes along with them.

2 Likes

I am sorry you feel this way i made no comment about zoom ??? I telephones the area organiser of uk and got a call back in an hour.
But thats your choice i was trying to be helpful but go your own way

1 Like

@sadnow why have you said that and got annoyed. others mentioned zoom i did not say you did and i never said you were not trying to be helpful, i just didnt find ageuk helpful at all.

I am sorry i was not annoyed i unfortunately misread a email regarding zoom call i had no intention to cause any further grief. I am new here and still trying to navigate my way around
I know that some of these charities offer support i tried for 7 months just thought I’d try sue ryder but on reflection i think that i am going to delete my account i am sorry but again i made a mistake

1 Like

@sadnow no problems at all. its so easy for people to mis read posts, i have done it many times. as far as ageuk are concerned i have emailed them, phoned and never got anywhere with them, same as citizens advice, they are useless. please dont delete your account, no need at all. hugs xx

i did try to pm but it says you are not excepting messages. x

Hi thank you i have not really had a good day today
Not sure about pm? Is it something ive done on the app

1 Like

got no idea, i dont use apps for anything, i use computer lol

1 Like

Ok thank you please enjoy the rest of the day with the glorious weather.
I am going to sit in our gparden and remember all the great times we had

5 Likes