I did it !!!!

I’ve just spent a few days away visiting family and celebrating my youngest grandchilds 4th birthday … I drove around 500 miles…on motorways, in bad weather ON MY OWN !!! I know I should be proud of myself for the achievement … but it was really hard to have to wear my mask 24/7 and not let it slip … when I walked into the house on my return I physically felt my comfort blanket drop around my shoulders …
But I have to take heart in the fact that I did it … hopefully next time it might be easier :frowning:

18 Likes

Well done you! That sounds an amazing achievement and I am sure your family were so pleased to see you.
My husband died very recently and, although I am going out to appointments when necessary, I just want to be in our home all the time. It’s early days for me but lovely to hear inspirational stories like yours x

5 Likes

Considering the anxiety that so often accompanies grief, you’ve done brilliantly Audrey.
I was so anxious contemplating a round journey half that of yours, I’d have done anything to avoid it. I felt physically sick setting out, convinced all sorts of things would go wrong.
My reaction on returning home was identical to yours.
All the best for future adventures, I’m sure they’ll be easier.

3 Likes

Thank you … my husband passed away suddenly and with no warning at the end of May 22 … it has taken me this long … so hang in there … your time will come. … but having said that, I still prefer to be home …as I said, in my comfort zone .

3 Likes

@Audrey54 Thats AMAZING! Well done to you.

I go out locally to activities I attend and groups I run or help at but have not been further than the nearest town on my own. The idea of going on holiday is still not something I can face although I know I’ll have to so that my daughter doesn’t get out of the routine of that even more than Covid has done. We have already lost ground in that progress she had made in staying away from home.

I just want to be at home too so completely get that. It’s 8 months for me, we’ll - it’ll be 9 months on 25th. That’s so hard to believe.

Anyway, I’m hugely impressed and your husband would be too.

3 Likes

Well done. I have been thinking of doing the same but take the train as just can`t manage it. However you might just have given me the push! x

2 Likes

@Audrey54 well done you! That’s amazing. You’re so brave xx.

2 Likes

Do it … I was really nervous when I started out, but having to concentrate on the driving really helped and the miles soon passed … I must admit i was more relaxed coming home …don’t know if that was because I knew I could do it or the fact I knew I would soon be back in my comfort zone. … It was hard, but I’m glad I did it.

3 Likes

I think I will going to see a friend in Feb which will mean the A1 which I haven`t driven on for years. Suppose you have to start somewhere! x

2 Likes