I just want to be with my dad

7 years next year and losing dad is like ‘yesterday’. I just want to be with him; my wish every night is that i fall asleep and not wake up but am just back with my dad…

6 Likes

Hi Heartbroken,

I’m very sorry for your loss and pain.

I lost my dad 6 weeks ago. Dad was diagnosed with advanced cancer and he passed away two months later.

My dad is my best friend and the pain of losing him is excruciating. It feels like constant ache and longing. I also just want to be with my dad again and I feel like the road ahead is too tough without him. Some days I feel more able to keep trying than others.

My dad would hate me thinking this. He would tell me that life goes on and to keep moving forwards. I hope I will be with dad again one day and until then I will keep trying for him and for myself.

I’m sure your dad would want you to continue too?

Sending love
Xx

2 Likes

Thank you for such kind words. So sorry to you too, still very raw I’m sure. Hope ur ok.big hugs.x

2 Likes

Hi Katherine

Hope you are ok and thanks for your message. Gosh so difficult isn’t it. How old are you, how old was your dad? My dad was 82, had a happy/healthy life until he was 80…Such a daddy’s girl and he died in my arms…which I find comforting, he was my everything and he was ‘with me’. I still long to be with him…xx

2 Likes

I am so sorry … mine is gone ten years and I still miss him terribly. my mom too.
my dad helped me so much.

life is hard without him.

1 Like

Hi Heartbroken,

I hope you are well. I am keeping busy and I am trying to focus on just getting through the day. Losing dad is the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. Dad was such a part of my everyday life that everywhere I go is a reminder that he’s no longer here. Wherever I go the memories come flooding back which feels strange as it seems like only two minutes ago that he was here. It just feels like he was stolen away from us.

My dad was only 70 years old. Prior to being diagnosed with cancer the first time in 2020 dad had never been unwell. He was always very fit and active and seemed much younger than his age. I’m 36 and it feels not only like losing my dad but like losing my compass in life and my best friend. There was nothing left unsaid between us and I know I couldn’t have spent more time with my dad than I already did which is comforting to me. I still can’t help but feel cheated and angry in some ways that dad is missing out on so much. I’m forever grateful to be his daughter though.

How are you doing?

Xx

Hi Katherine

Really feel for you. It’s only been 6 weeks and still very raw. A. cliche I know but it ‘does’ get easier. Are you religious? I started to go to church after losing dad, for a couple of years. I felt so close to him there.
Are you married/do you have a good support network?

Big hugs.x

1 Like

So sorry you have lost your dad ,I have too just before Christmas . Now the funeral is over and my sister has gone home I’m home alone with my dog I’m struggling to move forward . I lived and cared for him and he’s left a massive dad shaped hole in our house , I’m glad I’ve joined this group , x

1 Like

So sorry to hear this Elaine. Sending you a big hug. No time is easy but Christmas must have been difficult. Thinking of you lots. Hope you have support around you.xxx

Hi Elaine,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your father.

I understand the struggle to move forwards. It is still so fresh for both of us. My dad and I have always been close but when dad was first diagnosed with cancer in 2020 our bond became even stronger. I took over dealing with all of dad’s appointments and took on anything that might be a stressor so he didn’t have to deal with it. We had a good year or so from dad finishing treatment where we thought he was through the cancer before finding out he had a reoccurance and it was terminal. If you have cared for and supported someone then it leaves a huge void when they are no longer there.

My brother lives abroad and we don’t have much extended family (except for my Aunty and cousins) so now it’s just mum and I. I have always enjoyed my own company and independence but miss seeing my dad everyday.

I also have a dog (and two cats). My dog has been such a blessing, she’s only one and a half and dad loved her to bits. I feel closer to dad through her I think possibly because she brought us so much joy in the year before we lost him.

Always here if you want to chat.
Xx

1 Like