I lost my wife

Hi yes I try to go to friends when invited but I struggle as they are couples & that is so hard & yes I am jealous & itheartbreaking that I have not got that anymore.

I know how you feel. I lost my husband 5months ago. I am totally lost and lonely without him. I am finding it hard to carry on without him.

Diane08
I lost my husband in June and itā€™s very hard. Iā€™m struggling at night and weekends as I miss him being with me in the house. I donā€™t want to go to partyā€™s or get togethers as itā€™s too hard to see couples so happy and together

Hi Diane.
Yes I completely understand where you are coming from it feels awful with couples around you.
I have anti depressants to take at night i am not sure if they do any good but I am scared not to take them in case it is taking the edge of things.
Take care of yourself.

Hi Diane08, so sorry for your loss, itā€™s a dreadful time so lonely, I find it tough around couples almost embarrassed to be there, everything comes rushing back itā€™s horrible I avoid the situation now.
It helps to read the posts on here, everyone understands and is on the same terrible journey. Take care

1 Like

Hello Martyn i am very sorry for your loss and i know all too well what you are going through. I lost Caroline my wife to Bowel Cancer in May 2019. We had been married just under 29 years and we had two boys and two girls who are now between 30 and 21. Thankfully i still have my two loving daughters living with me who keep me going every day. I am surrounded by people but still feel lonely for the loss of Caroline. The hurt doesnā€™t go away, you just learn to except the loss.

1 Like

Hi Martyn1, I wish there was somewhere people like us could meet in groups to talk properly but there seems to be no where. Only people going through it truly understand. Even my councillor doesnā€™t seem to know of meet ups. Do you feel the same? Does anyone out there think there it would be good? The only local one to me is not operating at the moment.

Hi Diana yes it would be nice to see & talk to people face to face people that have been through all our experience and grief can be ourselves and if we get upset there is no judging at all.

I just checked where you are. Not far from me. We have a group in Newbury but not meeting at moment. Wonder how we could get group going?

It would be good to meet and chat with people going through this terrible time, I donā€™t think there is a group local to me?

Sorry to hear. I too lost my wife to cancer nearly 4 years ago, the cancer also caused her to be paralysed. It was a 2 way blow. There is no hard and fast rules that help you get over your grief, you have 3 daughters that will be hurting as well and if you can sit and talk and bring out the emotions it can help though is not going to take the hurt away. People say it takes time, that is true to an extent, what I found after June passed was something would happen and for a moment Iā€™d be like oh I need to tell June then remember she wasnā€™t here anymore. That was hard to take. Days do get better but there is no timescale of when that will be, I still miss June everyday but I find Iā€™m more and more ā€œtalkingā€ to her. There is just no magic wand to get you through this, unfortunately, and everybody takes a different path to get to some sort of normality though Iā€™d suspect all of us who have lost a wife/husband itā€™ll never be totally normal. Take care there is great support on this forum.

Hi I lost my husband Dan of 42 years 5 weeks ago to pancreatic cancer itcwas such a shock in January to be told out of the blue he had 3 to 6 months to live ā€¦ He made 5 I cared for him at home it was hell watching him suffer every day the pain was relentless ā€¦
I miss him so much I canā€™t focus on anything canā€™t eat or sleep just cry all the time I hate being on my own. Life has no purpose anymore ā€¦I have 2 grown up sons who are supporting me but they are grieving too ā€¦ everyone keeps telling me time is a great healer but I donā€™t want to hear that ā€¦ Iā€™m heart broken

2 Likes

Hello Pammee,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder community and Iā€™m so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband to cancer. It sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and you are feeling overwhelmed with sadness.

Iā€™m glad that youā€™ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. Thereā€™s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Take care,

Susannah

Online Community team

Hi pammee, So sorry for your loss, the worst of times, I lost the love of my life in April to cancer it was so quick a matter of weeks, I too am devastated things are getting worse as times goes on I have 3 daughterā€™s Iā€™m only here for them, Iā€™m so lonely, friends and family are very rarely in contact anymore, I canā€™t see a future, and donā€™t really want one without my lady, I feel for you and know exactly how youā€™re feeling take care

There are no words than can help just now. Life is too raw but the best is just take it day by day. There will be bad days but if you have a ā€œgoodā€ day donā€™t feel guilty, I was racked with guilt if I had a day that I felt was not too bad. I lost my wife,June to cancer 4 years ago what made it worse was the nerves were trapped onto her spine so she became paralysed as well. For somebody that was so active that was a killer blow. I could see her going down hill near the end pretty rapidly, though she never said to me if she was in pain (kept it from me to protect me) At the end the best I could muster was at least she wasnā€™t in pain any more. We got told she was terminal before she was told and I think from that exact moment I was on auto pilot had to as strong for her as it was her life and we still had so much we wanted to do. Iā€™ve felt some strenght from posting on here, even though Iā€™m usualy in tears by the end of it. It does seem to cleanse the soul as they say.

1 Like

I lost my wife June last year and it seems like yesterday, it never goes away all you can do is try to live with it. We went on holiday to Malta in February 20 but that was the start of her downfall, she picked up a chesty cough and see her Gp when we got home, she ended up in hospital and after a scan the cancer had returned. While we were in Malta we danced to Ed Sherrans song Perfect, while we danced she whispered in my ear listen to the words he could have written the song about us, I was in my local club on Saturday night and someone played it on the jukebox, it floored me and I ended in tears as the first thing I thought of was that night in Malta. This is what is going to be like for the rest of my life, itā€™s hard

4 Likes

Hi
So sorry for your loss. It is a hard journey 16 months since I lost my husband to cancer I never thought I would go on but I have itā€™s certainly a different difficult life like you say one day at a time.
Take care

that must have been so hard for you. now whether youā€™ll be able to listen to the song without breaking down, who knows. My wife,also June, had a song and when I hear it always end in flood of tears but I kinda feel better after it. It meant so much to us over the years, there is no way I couldnā€™t listen to it even though the end result. Thing I can say it really meant something to your wife and your life together. Try take some comfort from that. I donā€™t know the song so have no idea what the words are, though Iā€™ll check it out, but it meant something to her. Know what you mean with the jukebox experience. If I hear something coming on and know it will be a struggle to stop the flood gates I always make an excuse to go to the loo. The only help/advice we all give to each other is just a day at a time. There is just no road map out of what oyur going through and you need to go at your own pace. There will be setbacks but they will become less and less. Take care. Remember everybody on here has gone or is going through what you are dealing with. Coming on here can be a small step back to helping the healing process.

Hi Kim, thanks for replying and yes itā€™s a very changed life, we were married 45 years and I must have been shopping with her hundreds of times but shopping now is a night mare, shopping for one is horrible. Just one silly thing, another one that I find it hard is the lonelyness, if I am out when I come home and suddenly realise that sheā€™s not there thatā€™s when it hits me, the number of times I have made two cups of tea is a lot, I am the loneliest person in a room full of friends. You will get through it I hope and stay safe. Bob

1 Like

Hi Ken, you are right coming on here has helped me a lot. Itā€™s good to know that my feelings were not just me but a lot of people as well. It is getting easier each day but itā€™s because I am learning to live with the pain. Hope you are keeping fine and again thanks for your comment. Bob

1 Like