It's Sunday again!

How do others pass their time on Sundays? It’s the one day in the week that really gets me down. By about 10.30 am, I’m about ready to burst into tears and really unsettled/anxious.

It’s so hard isn’t it… some days are worse than others
What about a walk some where green that some times helps me x

Hello Tulabelle, I struggle through Sundays as well. Sunday is my day off from work, and sometimes I even take on extra hours at work just to get out, and exhaust myself so I can sleep at night. Not the best coping suggestion, I know. I lost my younger sister, who was my best friend and soul-mate, to cancer only 4 months ago. We always got together on Sundays, and even if she was not up to it, we would spend hours on the phone sharing and laughing. Now there is only silent emptiness, and long lonely hours that seem endless. I have wanted to go to church, or join a group, however I find myself immobilized. I just sit and stare out the window and sob, wishing I could just sleep the day away (but sleep does not come). Getting motivated is so hard. I wish I had more to offer, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your “Sunday Sadness.”

Hello Sister2,
I’m really sorry to hear about your recent loss. It seems to be common to all of us, this finding Sundays so hard. If I stay at home, I become so low that, like you, I just sit and cry. It’s very easy to pull yourself down, and very hard to push yourself back up again. I usually try to go out and do something, even if it’s just a trip to the supermarket, just to get out of the house a bit. And the rubbish telly doesn’t help either. I’ve always been an avid reader, but can’t even settle to that since my husband died. Thinking of you, Tulabelle xx

I am returning to this thread because I feel these “Sad Sundays” to be getting worse. I know there are things I could be doing but I can not motivate myself, the lack of energy and desire holds me back. I usually do not get going until late in the afternoon, and by then feel guilty for wasting the day. I just want to sleep the day away, but cannot even do that. Wondering how Tulabelle, Zan and any others are coping with their “Sad Sundays.” I tend to have intense grief attacks on that day, too much idle time to think. Miss my sister and all of our Sunday activities. Thank you for listening. Xx Sister2

Hello Sister 2,
I have to try and make sure that I do something on Sundays - this morning I went to a garden centre with a friend, had brunch and bought some dog toys. But when I got home, I was almost overwhelmed with sadness on my doorstep. I’ve just messed around online for the rest of the day, and now I feel as though I’ve wasted it. I don’t really know what the answer is, all I can say is that life is a bit easier than it was when my husband died but still very hard. Friends and fellow widows tell me that you never get over your loss - I’m just hoping that they’re wrong. The shorter days don’t help either. I’ve joined Meetup too. xxx

Hello. I’ve had a very busy weekend and that’s how I cope. I need to be busy all the time, distraction you see. Today I have given the conifer hedge its annual trim. It’s a job my husband loathed doing. After I had finished I came in to write my journal and tell my husband about my weekend. Keeping occupied is key for me. Of course there are times when I just want to sit and think and I do. Mornings are the worst for me - my husband always brought me a cup of tea in bed. I hope everyone’s day went as well as it could. Much love xx

Hello Everyone. I too feel more distress at the weekends. It’s either that people are dashing by in the supermarkets or are strolling around in what seems like slow-motion around the neighborhood. It’s all just very sad and unsettling. Warm regards to you all.