Just missing him

Just finding it all so hard. I lost my dad on 11th August but it was all so sudden as he hadn’t been ill. His wife (my stepmum) had a stroke almost 2 years ago, so I am now taking on a lot of his caring role, although there are other people on the street to help with this. My dad was my best friend who I spoke to every day and I am just missing those phone calls. He supported me in everything I did and feel like that is now gone for ever. The funeral is now arranged and I need to write a eulogy as I want to make my dad so proud. I just feel lost and in a fog.

1 Like

I lost my son 12 weeks ago, aged 41. He was severely disabled and I had cared for him all his life. Also lost both my parents 25 years ago so understand the pain you are going through.
We wanted our sons funeral to be special but it was so hard with trying to cope with the grief. We used a local independent Funeral Director who gave us so much support. Our son was a VW car fanatic and they sourced a VW campervan hearse, which I know he would have loved. we did not want a religious service and the funeral director also put us in touch with a celebrant. I wanted to write a eulogy as I wanted the service to be a true reflexion of his wonderful life. The Celebrant came to see us and she presented the most wonderful service we could have wished for. Many people said ‘she must have known him really well’ and were surprised when I said she had never met him. I know we don’t don’t usually refer to funerals as being lovely but Richards certainly was. This has been a great comfort to me in all the grief.
Perhaps you might be able to use someone like this, who will say exactly what you want to say without the stress of having to do it all.