Living Alone

I lost my wife last year to Lymphoma. It’s been a very difficult time and I feel I miss her more and more as the days go by as we were together for 50 years and married for nearly 40. I talk to her all the time and hope she hears me . I’m always playing and singing songs that remind me of our years together. She was such an amazing person and I will miss her until the end of my time on this Earth!

11 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss Johnny. I lost my mother a week ago and too am finding it hard. Take care, kieran.

1 Like

I lost my mum a year ago, it’s just been the anniversary and then her birthday. She lived with me and I feel so alone, I know it’s not the same as losing your partner but I do feel your pain.

3 Likes

Hi Ali, I’m sorry for your loss. The anniversary and birthday must have brought up all sorts of emotions and I understand what you are saying about feeling alone. I feel mostly in a state of shock myself. I have just come to my mother’s property to get some photos and I realise how empty it is. Kieran

Hi Kieran, thanks so much for replying, it makes me feel less alone. It’s so hard going through their things, I waited for ages but it was quite cathartic when I did do it. How are you feeling?

2 Likes

Main feeling is mostly in shock like it’s not real. Crying alot at times. I have had to get photo for the funeral invite as I’m the only person doing things mainly. I’ve felt very overwhelmed with it all aswell and needed to turn my phone off for long times.

1 Like

Yes Ks i find myself just weeping at times, we just miss them, my life will never be the same

1 Like

Can I help at all? X

2 Likes

Thank you but I think it’s just one of those things. I really notice she’s gone when I come back to her property, all lights off.

1 Like

Is there any part of the day in particular that is difficult for you?

1 Like

I feel so guilty in the evening when I come home from work. Mum wouldn’t speak to anyone all day and would just want to chat and I’d just put the telly on or get on the iPad. I so miss those opportunities to just talk to her! How about you?

2 Likes

I’m sorry for the late reply. I didn’t live with my mother but would often speak via phone or message. In the last couple years I would bring food to her every couple weeks. The other day I was at her place which is a small cottage and when I was there in the past I would nap upstairs and she would usually be sat watching the TV downstairs. I had a sleep there the other day and I realised how quiet it was with no TV on which made me feel sad. Also seeing the lights off when I got there hit me.

So sorry to hear of your loss Johnny. I lost my husband in 2019 we were together for 47 yrs also married for 40. He was only 67 .It’s been a terrible loss and I miss him so much .So I understand how you feel.
Coming on here has helped a lot.Speaking to people who are in the same position.

1 Like

I lost my wife of 33 years in May and I’m getting more stressed as December approaches. In the space of just over a week, i have our anniversary, her birthday and then Christmas and I really don’t know how I’m going to cope without her around!

I’m so sorry to hear that. I also lost my husband who I met 50 years ago and we married 48 years ago. I lost him this January. He suffered a rare mitochondrial disease which made him very weak. He went into hospital and whilst there caught Covid-19 and was so weak he died within 2 days, he was 66. The same age as me. . I was not allowed to see him to say goodbye.
10 months have gone by and I feel just as bad. Think of him all the time and talk to him also. One day I really hope I will be with him again.

I have 2 sons and a grandchild and another one on the way. so have to pretend I’m fine when I’m with them.

I have a dog which was very close to my husband. She keeps me going.

I wish you all the best
Elaine.

So sorry to hear that Elain.At least I got tobe with my husband when he passed.My heart goes out to you.
It seems we have a lot in common. I’m 67 and also have 2 wonderful son’s and 4 grandchildren.
Since my husband passed I aquired a rescue cat called Pedro. His a lovely boy and is good to have around. I’m really glad I got him.

1 Like

Sorry you lost your husband! So glad you have a cat. It’s so comforting. As well as my dog I have a 16 year old cat. He is very affectionate .

It’s good to hear you have sons and grandchildren. It does help watching them grow up. Also knowing a bit of our husbands are there in our grandchildren. Life is carrying on.

Elaine