Living alone

I lost my husband back in March this year. I have a step son who is 31 and lives in Wales. I wouldn’t say we were particularly close …… I’m hoping that will change.
I don’t have children of my own, so I find myself very much on my own from day to day.

Although it is hard for each and every one of us, dealing with our loss, I appreciate that those with children living at home have a job to do regarding their children’s welfare and maybe this is their sense of purpose for getting through the day.

My question is for those that don’t have children depending on them …… how do you stay focused, how do you get through each day.

Dee xx

2 Likes

Hi Dee, I live on my own with no children or dependents living close by, at the beginning I found it very difficult, both my children used to phone me every day to make sure I was ok, I think that was more for their benefit than mine !! Luckily I have a dog, and she gave me a reason to get out of bed in the morning and walk in the fresh air, I always felt better after a walk round the local woods, I also kept busy doing all the things that needed doing to the house and garden and eventually it got easier, I also have a lot of good friends, things will get easier in time, love Jude xx

Hi Dee

I too have no children. I have 2 step children but they both live quite away from me. All my family and friends are around 5 hours drive away so it’s literally just me.

It’s 6 weeks today since Scott died and evenings and weekends are the worse time for me. I work at home during the day which means I have to focus as much as I can, but the rest of the time I am just stumbling through the days/nights trying to find things to do, getting obsessed with cleaning just so I am not just sitting and thinking.

I have started doing some exercise classes on utube just to make me better and tomorrow I am going to try and go for a walk if I can find the strength to go out the front door.

I am hoping in time I will be able to focus on other things.

Take care xx

2 Likes

Hi Dee

I lost Peter at the end of June after 54 years of marriage. My tears flow daily don’t think that they will ever stop. I find it difficult to focus on anything too. I do have a son and daughters-in-law who have and are continuing to be wonderful to me. They live about 30 miles away from me and both work so I can’t see them during the week. I do see them at weekends and that is what I hang onto. Without them I don’t think I would survive. During the week I try and knit from time to time or research family history on my computer but the interest is no longer there. I tend to sit around and think about my wonderful man and wish he were here but it is not to be. I just wish something would give me some hope that things will improve just a little.

Take care Moira xx

1 Like

During lockdown I started to do jigsaw puzzles and cross stitch but I’ve lost interest and no motivation for housework. I feel I’m going backwards xx

2 Likes

I walk miles and miles Dee. I find getting out really helps me feel slightly better.
I have friends I can walk with but I mostly walk alone. Getting the fresh air & exercise helps me greatly. Ian & I used to walk together and I miss him more than words can say.
I continued my walking not long after he died and now I feel making that effort to get out is of benefit to my health. It’s helped my appetite too.
Unfortunately I retired 5 months before I lost Ian and I have no notion at all to work again as I don’t think I could concentrate on work at all now.
I hope you find peace with something that is right for you eventually.
Janey xx

1 Like