Loosing my Dad.

In February 2020 I lost my Dad due to an unexpected heart attack. It was so shocking to everyone and really has affected my life the past nearly 3 years. The funeral was just before Covid hit so I spent the next 4 months isolated not being able to see anyone which made the grief so much worse. I then went into counselling which sort of help but I don’t think you’ll ever properly ‘get over’ the death of a parent. Still now I struggle some days and the worst thing was having to move out of the house I grew up in with my Dad. My stepmum met a new man a year later and then after that decided to rent out the house. This was a shock and it felt like I was losing all the memories I have with my Dad, it was the last place I saw him the night before he died. Everything’s okay now but it still hurts from time to time. I never got any closure, I didn’t get to say goodbye and that makes me upset. And I hate that he’ll miss so many things in my life. He missed seeing me do well In my GCSE’s and A levels and now I’m in uni. He will never walk me down the isle. His death has also affect my brother badly and he will never talk about it and is therefore upset and angry a lot of time due to not having a male role now to help him through things and teach him things. We both miss him a lot. I go to his grave a lot even though he doesn’t have a headstone yet but that should hopefully be there be February 2023 just in time for the 3 year anniversary. I can’t believe it’s been nearly 3 years. I hope other people can relate to how I feel so I know I’m not alone in this. 15 is way to young to lose a parent.

1 Like

Hello @HarrietC1 ,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I’m glad you have found us, but I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad that brings you here. I hope you find the community to be a support to you.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you right now.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex