Losing a Sibling

I came to this wonderful community in my time of need. I was by my sister’s side when her cancer took a turn for the worse, and she died within a few hours of getting to the hospital. I am still wondering what happened. For a year after the diagnosis, she did well and we made sure to live that year together to the fullest. I am walking around in a daze, back to work, but disconnected and angry at the insensitive comments of some people. I lost my past, my present, and the future we will never have. She was my best friend, confidant, and we only had each other after losing our parents. Our other sibling was distant and treated my sister cruelly, not speaking to both of us for 6 years. I feel as though I’ve been sentenced to a life without the person I loved and cherished the most. I fear the coming years without her, there will be no joy. I dread mornings, because it means another long painful day without her, No calls, no texts, no laughter and no love. Other than one I replied to, I do not see many sibling loss posts here. I am hoping anyone suffering as I am, would reach out. I am struggling and bleeding inside. Thank you all for being here for each other.

Hi Sister2,

I am so sorry to hear that you recently lost your sister. It sounds like you had a wonderful close relationship and it’s completely understandable that you’re struggling. You’re absolutely right, there is very little written about losing a sibling and very few places to turn to for support, even though it is such a significant loss. There are a few others in this community who are grieving a sibling and I hope you find some comfort in speaking to them.

I came across what I think is a helpful article about grieving the loss of a sibling on the What’s Your Grief website. This is an American site, but it’s such a universal experience and they talk about how grief for a sibling is often overlooked and overshadowed. Perhaps something in there will ring true to what you’re going through.

Take care of yourself and let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you.

With best wishes,
Eleanor

hello I am so sorry for your loss I know exactly how yo y feel I lost my beautiful daughter Dawn 2016 and will never get over it she was my rock and I miss her ringing every evening about 6 0clock , we would talk forever, and tell you the truth I do not think any one will replace her, I have just fininished with a councillor today after 17 months she was great but no realey understands I hope you can find some comfort somewhere no matter where it is as that is all that matters sorry could not be of more help but keep posting as someone down the line will be of comfort to you xx Maddie

Thank you Maddie, Any words of comfort always help. My heart goes out to you in the loss of your beloved daughter. I am glad you are seeking help and talking to someone. No one will every fill the void in our hearts. Our loved ones were so special to us. I can relate to the need to hear their voice and share our days with them. I wish I had an answer but I am so lost. I am thankful I found this site. Take care and know that others do care and will listen. Sister2

Thank you for your support and prompt reply Eleanor. I will look at that site you mentioned. I did communicate with some others mourning a sibling on this site, and I extend myself to anyone else dealing with this terrible loss. This is the hardest loss I’ve ever experienced. It happened so fast and in some ways I am still in shock and denial. I look forward to responses to my posts, it gives me something to look forward to on these dark days.