Losing Dad

Hi,

My dad died on the 24th of May this year. We had his funeral on the 17th of June, and I got the call on the 21st of June, to go collect my dads ashes. All in all 4 weeks, from his death to what seems people expect is for me to move on.

Right now, moving on is nit happening. My world and life ended on the 24th of May at 11.11 am when I was there holding his hand while he took his last breath.

I feel so empty and lost.

1 Like

Hi 141274
Welcome to the Community and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Its a brave thing to do, particularly when you’re feeling quite raw and empty.

Losing a parent is a very hard thing to experience, as you are letting go of someone who you have known for the whole of your life, so there is bound to be a big hole left without him.

You don’t have to move on in 4 weeks. Grieving and adjusting to change takes time and is not a time defined process. That process may take months and even years and is different for everyone. There is nothing wrong with you feeling you don’t want to move on at the moment.

Take one day at a time and be pleased when you can get through them.

There is lots of support here and I’m sure you’ll benefit from sharing your feelings with others on the forum.

Take care of yourself and keep talking - we’re here for just that purpose

Jolene1

Thank you.

The pain and knowing my dad has died, yet I can’t accept it, or my mind won’t allow it, or it’s just me who can’t, I don’t want to.

Dad and me, were so close. So very close. I feel like I’m missing a big part of me, there is a hole which I can’t seem to fill.

Give it time.

Lots of people find it hard to accept death - its not just you.

You are bound to feel the loss of someone you were very close to - it shows how much you loved your dad.

Its ok to cry and be sad, but also to think about the happy times that you shared together. Talk about him and celebrate his memory and be pleased that you had your lives together for as long as you did.

Take care

Jolene1

Hi there

I totally know where your coming from , it’s very raw and you will feel very empty for a long time, acceptance will come in time too, I lost my dad on may 4th last year and funeral 27th may, I won’t ever get over my dad , I’ve lost my mum and all grand parents too, I have good days but lots of bad days and don’t think I will learn to live with the loss the same as you.
I do feel your pain really do
If you feel like talking then I’m hear :blush:

Take care :blush: