Losing my dad

Yesterday I sadly lost my dad to terminal cancer. I knew it would happen eventually but yesterday was so traumatic, the end seemed to happen so suddenly and I just can’t get it out of my head. Today has been a total whirlwind. I have been there for my mum and helped to organise the funeral, as well as helping her message friends. It’s so hard because they have been together 40 years since they were only teenagers. I know I need to be there for her but I just can’t stop crying, I feel so sad that she is alone too. The only dates we can get the church and funeral for are in 3 weeks time when I will be 38 weeks pregnant and I’m terrified I will go into labour and not be able to be there for her on the day. I was so close to my dad and I genuinely don’t think this pain will ever go away and then I have the added pain of seeing my mum suffer. How do you support your mum when you’re also grieving so bad? It was a horrible death and I honestly don’t think life will ever be the same

1 Like

Hello @Staceylouise25,

I’m Seaneen and I I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

Your loss is so very recent, and must be all the more painful given how close you are to giving birth, so please be gentle with yourself. You might find it helpful to read our Supporting yourself through grief support pages, and our Supporting someone else pages for your mum.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Seaneen