Losing my Dad

I am 19 years old and lost my father to a rare condition called IPF this February. I thought that I was coping as okay as I could be but in the last few months everything seems to be suddenly a lot harder. I find just coping with everyday life a struggle, and although I am so grateful for everything I have especially having an amazing Mum who helps me through I still find it hard to get excited about the things I used to.

Dad was due to have got a lung transplant a few weeks after he died so it is really hard to come to terms with what if he had been able to have survived those few weeks, would he still be here now. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to get through this difficult time, would really appreciate it x

I’m very sorry to hear that you lost your father this February. Grief is a very individual experience and it can be unpredictable sometimes - it’s normal to question things and to find it harder to cope at some points than it is at others.

There are many others in this community who have experienced the loss of a parent and who will understand what you’re going through. I’m sure they’ll be able to share advice for how they’ve coped with grief.

You may also find it helpful to have a read of this article on our information page that talks about how to cope with a bereavement: https://www.sueryder.org/how-we-can-help/someone-close-to-me-has-died/advice-and-support/how-can-i-cope-with-bereavement

Take good care of yourself and do get in touch if there’s anything I can support you with.

Best wishes,
Eleanor

I lost my dad 2 years ago. No one talks about him much and I am alone in my grieving. Is it normal that a, death can devide a family

Hello, I’m so very very sorry about your Dad, I too lost my Mum to IPF and it’s a horrific disease, I know your pain, it makes me so angry that millions are spent on trying to cure cancer but absolutely nothing is spent researching this and many other diseases, if you get it, that’s it… no hope. It makes grief very difficult to struggle with, I struggle to enjoy anything now without her here to share it with so I understand, sending you hugs tonight. Xxxx