Losing my husband

My husband died just over 5 months ago after battling cancer for 8 months. We had been married for 37 years. He was only 63 any myself in my late 50’s. I feel so alone, I do work but come come to an empty house and the Dog. I have four children who have all flown the nest and do not see much of two of them. How do Imove forward because all I want is to be with my husband but I know I can’t and I feel heartbroken and lost.

Hi Scorpio58,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear about the death of your husband, and how alone you are feeling. I’m glad that you have found this site, as many of our users find that talking to others who have been through similar experiences helps them feel a little less alone.

While you wait for more replies to your post, you may find it helpful to read or join in with some recent conversations between others who have lost a spouse or partner, such as this one: https://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-death-loved-one/sudden-death-my-husband

If there is anything I can help with, or you have any questions about the site, just let me know.

Hi Scorpio58

I am sorry to hear you are struggling after the loss of your husband. I lost my husband 7 months ago after a 15 month journey with brain cancer. No one can tell you how you will cope, it’s just a matter of time . He was only 56 and we would have been celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this month. I, too feel lonely especially coming home to an empty house after work and my grown up sons live away, it seems a daily struggle but bereavement counselling is helping me try to understand my grief and help myself without putting too much pressure on myself. Dorothy House have wonderful trained personal who completely understand the effects that cancer has on families. I would recommend getting some support if you are ready for it.
Your story really resonated with my own, I feel for you and wish you all the best for your journey forward

Hi Kate thank you for your kind reply. I am seeing a bereavement counsellor and it is helping and I realise that I have to take little steps for the future. Nothing is going to bring my Dave back but learning to come to terms with my loss is an uphill struggle but I know he would want me to live my life albeit a different life without him. Remember your anniversary with great affection and raise a glass to your husband cos he is just in another room and he will always be near. lots of hugs xxxx