Losing my sister

My sister and i were best friends as well. We looked after each other. She was 3 years older than me and passed away December 22 aged 55. She had been suffering with pancreatic cancer for 18 month’s and was doing well responding to Treatment, however she kept getting infections and set back after set back. We were told by her oncologist that they had plans for her Treatment wise but within a few days she deteriorated so rapidly and passed away. Really struggling to accept this and cant stop crying. We have her funeral this week which may bring some comfort. Not sure how to deak with this. Is it ok to keep crying. So sad at the moment.

3 Likes

Hello @Caroline8 ,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your sister that brings you here.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help you right now.

Another good place to get support is;
● Macmillan Cancer Support, 0808 808 0000. They offer Cancer specific support which you may find helpful.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Dear Caroline,
I am extremely sorry for your loss. Your case is similar to mine. I lost my beloved sister to pancreatic cancer on 12 November 2022, about 14 months after she was initially diagnosed. She was only 61, three years my senior.
We took advantage of a period when she was feeling well to have a holiday in Cornwall. That week was special and I will always have wonderful memories.
She knew that I loved her deeply and she will always be present in my heart and thoughts.
Please take care of yourself,
Alessandra

Dear Alessandra
Thank you so much for responding. Its hard to put into words the feelings but its comforting to know that its possible to cope with it knowing that other people like yourself are going through a similar situation. I am very lucky that i had a great relationship with my sister, we were best friends so i have to take comfort from the fact she knew she could depend on me. Its nice that you had time to holiday together. You must have some lovely memories. Unfortunately my sister wasn’t well enough alot of the time to do anything but we had plenty of time together trying to laugh. I hope you start to feel better. We have to cherish our memories.
Thanks again

Hi Caroline so sorry for the loss of your sister. I lost my only sibling my sister in September. She was my best friend as well. Its such an awful empty feeling. Isnt it.

1 Like

Hi Esmae
Thank you for your message. Im so sorry for your loss. The emptiness and numbness is hard to explain. I am trying to be positive and think about the fond memories i have, we really were the best of friends. Hoping that time heals the pain for us all x

2 Likes

I seem to be struggling more now. My sister died suddenly. Think i was in shock now its hit me. She was 10 years older than me. Its so hard as i have lost my parent’s and have no other siblings. The emptiness and sadness doesn’t get any easier. Thinking of you.

1 Like

People keep telling me that time will ease the pain, i sure hope so. I hope you have some good friends to help you. My friends have been great, they were also my sisters friends so its just as hard for them but they do help. We try and smile at the lovely memories, i hope you can too. If not now,then maybe in time. Sending hugs x

2 Likes