Losing mym

I lost my mum 14 months ago. Although I knew she was coming to the end of her life it was sudden Have self referred myself for counselling as I live alone and am really struggling . Happy to chat with anyone else who is struggling

1 Like

Hello Michellelou,
I am sorry that you lost your mum, welcome to this forum where not one of us wants to be a member.
In my experience grief is the most terrible of emotions, please post again and someone will be along to chat to you.
Blessings,
MaryL

Hi, how are you now? I lost my mum 2 weeks ago and i live alone too …in the same house so it is hard to escape all the recent memories, i find talking with people helps even though i am no extrovert …maybe because it forces my mind off thinking of what could have been, regrets etc, but if the bad feelings continue i was thinking of contacting cruse the bereavement charity…are there any volunteer groups you can join to take yourself away from thinking such sad thoughts and to get new experiences …maybe easier said than done i know, but at the moment i am trying to think of anything to do to try to stop myself dwelling on what happened… its a horrible place to be … take care.

Hi Hazeltree, so sorry to read about your mum, it must be so difficult, especially when you live in the same house. It would be a good idea to contact Cruse, you could also contact Sue Ryder’s Online bereavement service, they might have a shorter waiting list time than Cruse. It’s also a good idea to do some volunteering, maybe a job where you don’t have to make a commitment, my eldest brother volunteers for Cancer Research, you just go in whenever you want to, that sort of volunteering job is something that might help you.

1 Like

Hello Abdullah,
How are you today? I think your idea of voluntary work is a good one, when my dad was terminally ill, I did just that. I am sorry that you are suffering so much, grief is all consuming.
Take care of yourself.
Blessings,
MaryL

Hi
Voluntary work is something you can throw yourself into and help others, and this is something i want to do but for me maybe it is too early , my mum died 18 june, and for now i am now sorting out all the legal and admin stuff …but when that is done and there is nothing else to busy myself with other than the usual ’ income’ work then i want to try to offer support to others and will occupy time with this, altho maybe it is just that,’ occupying time’ so i dont have to dwell on the past … i wonder if anyone has any other ways they deal with the grief of losing someone they spent 24/7 caring for who is no longer there? Your role has disappeared, you feel you failed them, and have such feelings in addition to loss. Im surethis is quite common and ‘normal’ but it is still hard and i suppose we all have our own ways to cope …I’m yet to find mine and to be honest, rely on alcohol too much !

1 Like

Hi Mary, doing ok given the situation, going to see my mum tomorrow, hate going to see her as dad isn’t there but love her so much and just wish there was some way she could be living with me but she can’t at the moment, hope you’re doing ok today.