Loss of a parent

Last Tuesday I had to say goodbye to my lovely Dad, it was a very sudden death and I’m finding it hard to deal with all the different emotions I’m feeling right now. I’m having days where I won’t get out of bed, times I’m so distracted I can’t concentrate and a lot of feeling of anger against the world right now. I feel I only want to talk to people who can understand this pain of losing a parent and am shutting anyone out that can’t relate to me. I know this is something I shouldn’t be doing but I just can’t help these feelings I have at the moment and feel I can only get comfort from anyone who understands how this really feels.

2 Likes

Hi Bem
You’ve come to the right place. We all understand those feelings which is probably why most of us post here.
You’re going through a terrible experience that nothing can prepare you for. It really is true that unless you’ve been through it, you can’t really understand it.
You’ll find a lot of support here. It’s less than a week since your loss, I’m so sorry.

Nicky

1 Like

Hello Bem,

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. It sounds as though things are very tough at the moment and you are feeling overwhelmed.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling

Another good place to get support is Cruse Bereavement, they offer a helpline, email support, and counselling and support groups through their local services. Here are their contact details: 0808 808 1677, helpline@cruse.org.uk, http://www.cruse.org.uk/bereavement-services.

Take care,

Michelle

Online Community team

You grieve how YOU want to.

Yes, you should be doing it that way! YOU are the priority right now. When I lost my parents I only dealt with grieving people in a support group because they were my new kin.

That is how deep this place in your life is. Shut them out. Protect yourself. This IS how it is done, believe me, I have done it myself.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply, I know everyone deals with this in their own and I hate to know others have felt this way I have before but it’s also nice to not feel so alone with everything right now. It must be hard to no longer have the support groups during these times but at least we have places like this to talk.