Loss of brother

Hi everyone. Im 47 and on my birthday this year my brother died after a short illness. He was only 44. We were always close. I cry everyday. I miss him so much. I saw him or spoke to him most days. I’m arried with children who are all being very supportive. But I just can’t get out of the strong ache in my heart. We lost our mum suddenly 18 years ago so I understand the pain will dull over time. Right now I’m just in a terrible place. I just cry and cry usually when I’m on my own. He was diagnosed with a brain tumour, causing epilepsy. It was only a small tumour size of a pea. But he got pneumonia had a series of seizures and went into respiratory arrest. He was put on life support for ten days. He then passed away after contracting sepsis. It’s been the hardest thing watching my brother die in front of us. The pain is so bad. I just don’t know what to do.

Hello. I am so sorry for your loss and how absolutely awful that your brother should pass on your birthday. I know what it’s like to lose a brother - I lost mine almost 2 years ago now. He died a horrible death from pancreatic cancer. It’s really like there’s a piece missing from a jigsaw, our family is no longer whole. Six months later my husband died suddenly. He and my brother were the same age all but 5 days. It really does leave a gaping hole in our lives which can’t be filled.

I’ve said this in a few different posts - I write a journal to my husband telling him everyday stuff, how I’m feeling, how I miss him etc - it really helps me. You might like to try writing your own journal to your brother.

Sending you love and hugs xx

Thank you for your kind words. You must of gone through so much. I know I can do it but it’s just so raw still. I miss him everyday. The journal is a good idea. He was my best friend we hung around with each since being small. Again thank you so much for replying. I hope I can gain some strength from your words xxxx