Loss of Dad, helping mum with dementia come to accept

My Dad passed away peacefully in April from Parkinson’s, which was expected as he was in end of life care from December. He was in a care home with my Mum who was diagnosed with mixed Dementia. Mum is not coping well with his loss. They were married for over 60years and never apart. Some days she accepts he has died and we relive his passing all over again, other days she thinks he has either gone into hospital, gone to work, left her, or gone off with some people. She isn’t doing well at the moment and her dementia has worsened. The care home are brilliant at dealing with her, but it can be so hard knowing what to say or do when I see her, I go along with how she is feeling on each visit. I’m struggling with how to help her, as not only have we lost Dad, but gradually we’re losing her too. She says she no longer wants to be here as ‘you can’t mend a broken heart’. It’s so sad.

2 Likes

Hi @Suz1,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your dad and also how your mum is. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Becca
Online Community Team