Loss of mum

Not sure if this will help but I lost my mum to cancer after months of looking after her, I stopped working to care for her. I’m 24 and now living with just my dad and trying to cope with the loss of my mum but also watching my dad cope with the loss of his wife. I know everyone says it gets better with time and I know it will but my dad is only 57 and will be alone for the rest of his life (he has made that clear) just don’t know how I’m going to do this. Trying to keep the memory of my mum alive but all I can envision when I think of her is when she died.

1 Like

Hello Wd77

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

Some community members have previously suggested memory boxes, where you gather photos, letters, items of clothing and other precious reminders of a loved one, to go through to remember them with. Maybe that would be something that would help you remember your mum when she was well?

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care, Rhi

1 Like

Hi @Wd77 it’s the most awful thing losing your mum. I lost mine 2 months ago and like you, I don’t know how I’m supposed to go the rest of my life without her. It’s tough when you keep seeing traumatic images of her when she died. I have so many traumatic memories of my mum when she was in hospital, she died of cancer too. It was so awful, I’ll never get over that and how unfair it all is. Have you got any nice photos or videos you can look at/watch which might help you take your mind off the sad images? x