Loss of my mum, aug 22

Hi

Am wondering if anyone can help and offer some advice plse. I lost my mum in aug 2022 very suddenly. She was 85 but very active and but had a minor heart issue which eventually led to a massive heart attack and she was taken very suddenly. I am coping with my own grief have a lovely supportive family husband and children and a nice few small friend groups so am very lucky. I have been trying to help my dad cope but unfortunately at 85 he really is struggling. It is very early days I understand but I am worried, he is so lonely and desperately needs an outlet of some sort to make him feel needed and keep him busy. He drives is active and his health isn’t to bad all considering. We are making an appointment at the doctors to get him looked over but we would like some advice on how he can cope at home. He struggles to stay at home on his own so leaves the house and is out most of the day visiting and it’s taking its toll on himself and others. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

1 Like

Hello @Victoria76, I am so sorry for the loss of your mum. I just wanted to give your post a gentle, “bump” so more people will see it as it’s been quite busy over the evening and morning.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few resources that might be helpful for you in supporting your dad.

The Silver Line is a phoneline for older people who are experiencing loneliness. They offer conversation, friendships and support for older people. Your dad can call them for free on 0800 470 8090, and they’re available 24 hours a days, 7 days a week. Having that option there for connection might help your dad to feel a little less restless and lonely.

We also have information on supporting someone who is grieving which might be helpful for you in supporting your dad.

I’m really glad to hear that you have so much support around you. If you feel you might benefit from some further support with your grief, our Online Bereavement Support has lots of options you can explore.

Take good care,
Seaneen